+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The New Cross House Fire - 40 Years

I'm Robert.

Default The New Cross House Fire - 40 Years

Today marks the 40th year of this awfully sad and tragic event ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Cross_house_fire

My sister was meant to have been there but my folks said no.

My sister had not been in London long and Yvonne Ruddock who's birthday party it was, treated my sister as a friend from the off at the school they attended in New Cross and had invited her, A group of them were all mates together.

My Mrs was also meant to be at the party - I didnt know her then and never met Yvonne R, as I arrived in London from up north, in August that year, after leaving school but the pain and dark cloud was still there, you could feel it, it had a big big effect on young black people then and the black community, there was a lot of suspicion and a lot of unanswered questions still remain.

They'll never be forgotten - God rest their souls until that better day to come, comes.....https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...A4&version=KJV
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Graham.

Hi robbie,
    I wasn't in the uk at the time but i knew nothing about this. Thanks for raising awareness of a terrible tragedy.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I was only 12 at the time, so I guess not really aware of the news, and wasn't aware of this either - looks like a very sad tragedy.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm John.

Terrible tragedy Robby, very heartening verse.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

I remember when this happened growing up in SE London at the time and it was massive news, going past the building on the bus afterwards and seeing the burnt brick and stone lintels really brought it home.

A terrible thing to happen, thank goodness your sister didn't go.

I never realised it was 40 years ago, thanks for reminding us.
    At the cutting edge of Numptyness!

I'm Grant.

I vaguely remember hearing of it back then.. was a long time ago now.. 39 years(I would have been in my 20's), but it will not be forgotten by folk affected.. You never forget
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread