+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Going Digital Musings

I'm Simon.

Default Going Digital Musings

Hi All, Just a quick one, a where do I start type question!

I'm thinking of looking into a bit of a do it all amp, I'm looking at the TV and some streaming services and think am I missing out on something.
    So what I'm looking at is maybe something second system with various digital inputs TV/phone/stream as well as analogue input for the TT, do love a turntable.

I've had a quick look at a friend's Quad Vena, used the version 1 looks decent value and the combination he has in place certainly works as both digital and analogue modes. I'm also liking the small form, is there anything else I should be looking at?

Or am I missing a trick with just using a good DAC with a number of digital inputs as a pre-amp on a traditional amplifier speaker combo, I have a Beresford Caiman MkII to hand so maybe I should try that first.

Cheers

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninety4degrees View Post
    Hi All, Just a quick one, a where do I start type question!

I'm thinking of looking into a bit of a do it all amp, I'm looking at the TV and some streaming services and think am I missing out on something.
    So what I'm looking at is maybe something second system with various digital inputs TV/phone/stream as well as analogue input for the TT, do love a turntable.

I've had a quick look at a friend's Quad Vena, used the version 1 looks decent value and the combination he has in place certainly works as both digital and analogue modes. I'm also liking the small form, is there anything else I should be looking at?

Or am I missing a trick with just using a good DAC with a number of digital inputs as a pre-amp on a traditional amplifier speaker combo, I have a Beresford Caiman MkII to hand so maybe I should try that first.

Cheers
    Why not just get a Raspberry Pi with a HAT card, and connect that to your Caiman Seg, you can stream to the RPI using Volumio with mobile phone or tablet or computer.
    If you have a computer with a music library you can map to that over wifi using Volumio to play your digital music.

You can hook up to the Caiman Seg from TV using optical sound out or digital coax (if it has it), and optical/coax from CDP if it has it, you can even us USB from computer to Caiman SEG

This is how I use mine and get very good results, if you have not got a Dorado battery power supply from Beresford you might want to invest in one if you like the above as it improve the sound quite a bit.

Have a look at https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/bundl...digi-bundle-4/ it works out to about £114 all in for RPI4, HIFIBERRY DIGI+ PRO, PSU, Micro Card and connection block. You might want to consider the HIFIBERRY DAC+ DSP combines a Burr-Brown DAC as we’re using it in our DAC+ Standard and Pro series with a an digital input and output and a powerful Digital Signal Processor and is on £28 more.

It will certainly get you started and without changing amplifier, unless you want to.
    [FONT="Arial"]
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes

Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S & Michel Cusis MC cartridge, Furutech AG-12-R4 High Performance Phono Cable, LFD MMC special phono stage, Rothwell MCX SUT, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi to Beresford Caiman SEG DAC, Sony 3d blu-Ray for CDs to Caiman SEG, ALLNIC T1500 MKII SET 300B amp, Wilson Benesch Vector speakers and JBL L100 Century's , Chord Epic speaker leads, & signature links, the Eccose Conductor CA1 cd to pre, I think I am at audio nirvana, but donít tell anyone

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Why not just get a Raspberry Pi with a HAT card, and connect that to your Caiman Seg, you can stream to the RPI using Volumio with mobile phone or tablet or computer.
    If you have a computer with a music library you can map to that over wifi using Volumio to play your digital music.

You can hook up to the Caiman Seg from TV using optical sound out or digital coax (if it has it), and optical/coax from CDP if it has it, you can even us USB from computer to Caiman SEG

This is how I use mine and get very good results, if you have not got a Dorado battery power supply from Beresford you might want to invest in one if you like the above as it improve the sound quite a bit.

Have a look at https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/bundl...digi-bundle-4/ it works out to about £114 all in for RPI4, HIFIBERRY DIGI+ PRO, PSU, Micro Card and connection block. You might want to consider the HIFIBERRY DAC+ DSP combines a Burr-Brown DAC as we’re using it in our DAC+ Standard and Pro series with a an digital input and output and a powerful Digital Signal Processor and is on £28 more.

It will certainly get you started and without changing amplifier, unless you want to.
    Not something I have considered, but a quick google suggests this may be a low cost-ish way forward. I'll have a look it may be a fun way to do this.

I'm Grant.

The latest vena, the play, has streaming built in so maybe worth looking at. I've the mk2 which has the phono added from mk1 and a few upgrades.
    The new one will be very good, as the other 2 are.
    Great value amp imo. Can be used as a pre too if you want extra oomph.

https://dougbradyhifi.com/products/q...ming-amplifier
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/ROON - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**Don't be such a big girl's blouse!**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

RIP Terry... "We use only the finest baby frogs, dew picked and flown from Iraq, cleansed in finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope and lovingly frosted with glucose."

+ Reply to Thread