+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Floor standing speaker isolation

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Thanks for the link. A lot of reviews say that they smell pretty bad. Was this the case?
    Yes, but only up close! They are seriously heavy duty.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Thanks for the link. A lot of reviews say that they smell pretty bad. Was this the case?
    No, the ones I have I left out on the kitchen for a day, and they were not that bad taking them out of the bag. Even stood by the turntable they are under I don’t notice them.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Kevin.

Thanks.
    I am half tempted to try some solidair audio feet on the bottom of my speakers.

The pads look much cheaper though, but are they much different to rubber feet I can buy in a hadware store?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm fuckoff.

I’ve always had good results with RDC under speakers where they are rated for the weight.

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Hi Kevin, I would try 2 sets of these, if you order from this link then there is no import duty and it is cost effective https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, these type of vibration damping pads are used on all sorts of applications, to store vibrations going from devices and to them. They is quite a bit on the net about them. I have used them to isolate my turntable.

For my speakers even though they were sitting on a concrete floor and spiked through carpet I experimented on a friends advise and now they sit on 40mm Oak worktop, cut down to the speaker foot print, the speakers are spiked onto these. I was quite surprised to find an improvement in soundstage separation and clarity, I would have thought direct contact into the concrete would have been perfect.

My friend who lives in an old house converted to flats on the 1st floor which has suspended floors did the same with his Tannoy Kensington's and there was a definite improvement, similar to the above but more so.

In you case I would try the Oak onto the four isolation pads and then the speakers spiked into the Oak.

Also it's not too expensive to do, by the way I spray lacquered the Oak black once I was happy with the result so they loo quite good.
    i can confirm they work really well under speakers
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Kevin.

As I am impatient, I have ordered some EVA pads to try.
    If they work, I may try some ViaBlue UFOs, as they look nicer.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

They have arrived. I may be imagining it, but I think that the soundstage has opened up a touch.
    Kevin

I'm Mike.

When I had suspended floors (up to 2002) I simply used spikes, either onto the speakers as fitted or via stands, or both (Briks, big Leaks, big ProAcs, and one or two other passing speakers). If damaging the floor is an issue, put a tile or furniture cup under the spike.

I'm Kevin.

My speakers don't have provision for spikes.
    I wanted to decouple the speakers from the floor to see what would happen.
    Kevin

I'm Neil.

Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast