+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Floor standing speaker isolation

I'm Kevin.

Default Floor standing speaker isolation

I am interested in isolating my speakers from my suspended floor.
    The bases measure 500 x 250mm, so Auralex foam seems out of the question.

Are there any decent isolation pods available that won’t hurt my wallet too much?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Kevin.

Thanks. Worth looking into.

Does anybody have experience of the Audio Serenity ISO-9H-35 Isolation Feet?
    Another more expensive option seems to be the Isopucks, but they are relatively expensive (But nowhere near the cost of the Townshend products), as they are sold in sets of 2.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

http://ethanwiner.com/speaker_isolation.htm

This article would suggest I would be wasting my time and money. Any thoughts on the above?
    Kevin

I'm Ian.

That's a very interesting and illuminating article! I've been through a variety of "isolators" over the years from spikes to foam pads and have never been convinced any did much on a suspended wooden floor although spikes seemed to be of use on a carpeted one just to stop the speaker wobbling. Nowadays I just use those little felt pads you can buy from DIY stores to protect floors from furniture.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post

This article would suggest I would be wasting my time and money. Any thoughts on the above?
    He doesn't say whether the floor of the room he used was solid or suspended. The speaker sits on the rickety table but what is the rickety table sitting on? he doesn't try the products underneath the table, just betwixt table and speaker.

I've used paving slabs under floorstanding speakers when I had a fairly bouncy suspended floor (never again!) and I thought it made a significant change in the sound character.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

He attributes any differences in sound to moving the speaker position rather than the supposed isolating properties of each product, so play around with speaker position, if they need raising then use something that looks good but doesn't cost too much. I'd say no harm in trying different products as long you only spend what these products are worth - about a few quid. I think a lot of what people think they hear with different products is a trick of the mind. With users attributing sonic qualities to the physical qualities of the product - i.e. thick speaker cables resulting in more bass, a 'bigger' sound, blind testing is the way to go, if that were possible, get a friend to help may'be!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Alan.

I'll read that article later, thank you for the link.

I'm still trying to come to an opinion on the subject, as every large loudspeaker I've had sounds very good on my floor. It's concrete, with carpet, and I've always used spikes. The bass is very well behaved indeed, so I won't go searching for problems to solve that don't really exist (My current loudspeakers are -3dB @ 29Hz).

I have idly considered removing the spikes altogether and allowing the carpet to spread the weight under the footprint of the speakers. They weigh 42kg but the footprint is fairly big.

On wooden flooring, I'd think the first step would be to cut some offcut of carpet (maybe new, deep-ish pile from a shop) to match the footprint of the loudspeaker. Perhaps do two, one inverted and have both pieces of 'audiopile' on top of each other, with the underside sandwiched. So the pile is in contact with the speakers and the floor. Some measure of isolation and suspension will be present and if you do one speaker at a time (allowing you to compare to the other one) you should get a measure of what improvement (if any) you'll get.

Cheap and easy, plus the loudspeakers will be easier to move around for positioning!

I'm Adrian.

I am interested in isolating my speakers from my suspended floor.
    The bases measure 500 x 250mm, so Auralex foam seems out of the question.

Are there any decent isolation pods available that won’t hurt my wallet too much?
    Hi Kevin, I would try 2 sets of these, if you order from this link then there is no import duty and it is cost effective https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, these type of vibration damping pads are used on all sorts of applications, to store vibrations going from devices and to them. They is quite a bit on the net about them. I have used them to isolate my turntable.

For my speakers even though they were sitting on a concrete floor and spiked through carpet I experimented on a friends advise and now they sit on 40mm Oak worktop, cut down to the speaker foot print, the speakers are spiked onto these. I was quite surprised to find an improvement in soundstage separation and clarity, I would have thought direct contact into the concrete would have been perfect.

My friend who lives in an old house converted to flats on the 1st floor which has suspended floors did the same with his Tannoy Kensington's and there was a definite improvement, similar to the above but more so.

In you case I would try the Oak onto the four isolation pads and then the speakers spiked into the Oak.

Also it's not too expensive to do, by the way I spray lacquered the Oak black once I was happy with the result so they loo quite good.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Kevin.

Thanks for the link. A lot of reviews say that they smell pretty bad. Was this the case?
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast