+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much better is a QED Digital Audio 40 likely to be?

I'm Nuno.

Well, at the moment I have the Qed Performance Audio 2 in my system.You are right, it depends of system synergies. I did a few experiences, and some cables play better with the CD player and others with the turntable. For exemple, the Audio 2 with the turntable is not so good, but with the cd player is fine!I guess I will keep the Audio 2, the Reference is a bit expensive and may not suit my system. The dealer told me that the main difference between the Audio 2 and the Reference 40 were the resolution, which the Reference has more.

I'm Chris.

Reference 40 is a digital cable (in this instance). I'm assuming the Audio 2 you refer to is an analogue cable. Although its probably a decent clue as to how the more expensive ranges will perform, I'd treat them separately for the purpose of a comparison. For example just because you don't like the sound of the digital 'Reference 40' cable doesn't mean you won't like its analogue equivalent in the range.

No one sets out to make a bad cable but they certainly can have very different effects on different systems. As you point out also depending on where you place them.

For example you will want a very neutral cable between pre and power amplifier, however you may want a slightly darker/more laid back cable between CD player and preamp, especially if your CD player is a bit bright or 'digital' sounding.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Nuno.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    For example you will want a very neutral cable between pre and power amplifier, however you may want a slightly darker/more laid back cable between CD player and preamp, especially if your CD player is a bit bright or 'digital' sounding.
    Sorry, I was thinking you were refering to the Qed Reference 40 analogue. Well, at the moment Iīm trying two cables between the cd player and the amplifier, the Qed Performance Audio 2 and the Audioquest Coral.The Audioquest Coral is a slightly darker/more laid back cable as you refer, but as I have a Rega cd player and the sound is more to analogue, I prefer the Qed, which is more forward and open.Thatīs my impression, but the Audioquest is a fine cable, the resolution is better, and costs 2 * the Qed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12