+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Streaming Doomed?

I'm James.

Biggest issue I have with streaming it the majority of artists earn hardly any money at $0.008 per stream! Where as in the old days artists could make money selling LPs or Cds now everyone wants their music for nothing!!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    No UPnp, connectivity problems, metadata issues and constant updating and manipulation of stored library.
    Not noticed anything library wise so far. It connected to my rpi surprisingly without me doing anything. Just sees it as an endpoint. Not sure how it does it tho. I presumed it was upnp or the like.
    Phone is fine after a sticky start re the ip's.
    Connection to my other laptop is good too. Very quick.
    If course its on a fairly recent bug update so it might not always been that way.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Biggest issue I have with streaming it the majority of artists earn hardly any money at $0.008 per stream! Where as in the old days artists could make money selling LPs or Cds now everyone wants their music for nothing!!
    I think it is actually less than that on Spotify, $0.00437 according to The Guardian. So Ed Sheehan has earned $8.74m from “Shape of You” from Spotify alone, and added to his Tidal income for that one song, who pay $0.0125 per stream, he’s doing ok.

I do take your point though, that less successful artists won’t be doing so well - but on the other hand, once a track is there, it will forever be a potential source of constant income. If an artist has 10 published tracks that get 10,000 plays a month average, they would be earning $4,370 a month. This is where I think the subscription model works as I said earlier, if I buy a CD and play it once the earnings for the artist are the same as for my favourites that have been played hundreds of times, so isn’t the new model fairer to all?
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I think it is actually less than that on Spotify, $0.00437 according to The Guardian. So Ed Sheehan has earned $8.74m from “Shape of You” from Spotify alone, and added to his Tidal income for that one song, who pay $0.0125 per stream, he’s doing ok.

I do take your point though, that less successful artists won’t be doing so well - but on the other hand, once a track is there, it will forever be a potential source of constant income. If an artist has 10 published tracks that get 10,000 plays a month average, they would be earning $4,370 a month. This is where I think the subscription model works as I said earlier, if I buy a CD and play it once the earnings for the artist are the same as for my favourites that have been played hundreds of times, so isn’t the new model fairer to all?
    At $0.004 per track x 10,000 x 10 = $400? You also picked Ed sheeran who is probably the most played artist out there and yes there are quite a few at the top, but there are many many more(the majority) of artists who don't earn anywhere near this!

Take a read of this.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...n-2018-706745/
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

That’ll teach me to try and do maths after half a bottle of wine!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    That’ll teach me to try and do maths after half a bottle of wine!

I'm Twisted.

Finish the bottle and we'll all be millionaires
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Grant.

Ed sheeran.. Don't think I've heard any of his stuff. Maybe fortunate there
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Ed sheeran.. Don't think I've heard any of his stuff. Maybe fortunate there
    Hi is quite popular at the moment but not my cup of tea.

I'm Simon.

Never see the point in going back to CD. I see nothing to be nostalgic about it. Crap plastic cases, crap little booklets and and shiny discs hidden in a drawer of a big overpriced metal box. At one point, yes, cd sounded better than streaming but with services offering higher resolution, broadband getting faster and dacs getting more popular (and cheaper if you want to look at china), then who really wants to go back to CD ????

I don't see anything from CD that I can't get from a good streaming service as well as access to a huge amount of music.

Vinyl is a bit different as that is a more physical, tactile and nostalgic format and turntables are things of beauty (imo of course).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast