+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Is Streaming Doomed?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    I beg to differ but i can hear a difference as well as all the issues i encountered.
    Maybe you are one of the super sensitive hearers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Andre.

Well i do headphone listening mostly but i just can hear, i am very sensitive to tone & High frequency..

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Actually that your 12dB statement is not true, and you are ignoring some important facts have a read of these https://www.audioholics.com/audio-te...-part-4-page-2

https://www.analogplanet.com/content...eres-some-math

They explain much better than I.

Another point is that 320kbps digital files are lossy so you are definitely not hearing as it was originally. I have done several AXB comparisons of lossy to lossless files of the same material from the same master and can identify the lossy in the majority of cases. It is harder to hear the difference when the original already has high frequency noise present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Checked out the links , thanks, not sure where i got 12dB from but a bit more research looks like the dynamic range of an LP is about 60dB. You can definitely improve that with digital, even 320kbps max is about 90dB of dynamic range. Much of which will be dependant on the mastering in the first place.

I'm Marcus.

In answer to the original question - of course streaming is not doomed. Sound quality is not a factor for the vast majority, as long as it is good enough, those who want vinyl or anything else will continue to use, just as some people still buy laserdiscs. Maybe at some point in the future some new model will appear, who can predict the future?
    Ziro power cables -> Modded Marantz CD63SE or Bluesound -> Roksan K3 Dac -> RFC Venus -> Onix DNA 45 -> LS25 -> Proac D18

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    Checked out the links , thanks, not sure where i got 12dB from but a bit more research looks like the dynamic range of an LP is about 60dB. You can definitely improve that with digital, even 320kbps max is about 90dB of dynamic range. Much of which will be dependant on the mastering in the first place.

No read again everyone assumes it’s 60db bit actually you have to take low level noise floor into account of turntable and stylus on record if you take that out it is actually much better, and as it says you get a much better noise floor with a high end turntable,arm and stylus.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    No read again everyone assumes it’s 60db bit actually you have to take low level noise floor into account of turntable and stylus on record if you take that out it is actually much better, and as it says you get a much better noise floor with a high end turntable,arm and stylus.
    Except you don't, his comparison is badly flawed. It doesn't take mastering differences into account, he's just picking one (analogue) recording and claiming it is representative. The noise floor on the cd recording will be tape hiss from the recording process, this will swamp any inherent noise in the CD medium itself and will swamp at least some of the noise from the vinyl system, especially at higher frequencies.

He doesn't seem to appreciate the problems involved in measuring the true dynamic range of a vinyl record. (It will always show as artificially high). We already know that comparing the very best of both you will get a maximum of 70dB out of a vinyl, 90dB out of a CD. 70dB is plenty which is why no-one complains about the limited dynamic range of vinyl. 90dB is massively more range than will ever be required for home replay.

Added to which he says 'I much prefer listening to the LP over the CD on my system. The CD sounds dull, congested, muddy, and lacking in dynamics. If I push up the volume, the sound becomes noticeably harsh and artificial. '

That's a problem with his amplification, not the CD.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Happily enjoying streaming from Tidal, Qobuz and even Spotify 320kbs.
    as good, just “different” from vinyl in my experience.

Can enjoy both.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 04-02-2020 at 17:21.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Except you don't, his comparison is badly flawed. It doesn't take mastering differences into account, he's just picking one (analogue) recording and claiming it is representative. The noise floor on the cd recording will be tape hiss from the recording process, this will swamp any inherent noise in the CD medium itself and will swamp at least some of the noise from the vinyl system, especially at higher frequencies.

He doesn't seem to appreciate the problems involved in measuring the true dynamic range of a vinyl record. (It will always show as artificially high). We already know that comparing the very best of both you will get a maximum of 70dB out of a vinyl, 90dB out of a CD. 70dB is plenty which is why no-one complains about the limited dynamic range of vinyl. 90dB is massively more range than will ever be required for home replay.

Added to which he says 'I much prefer listening to the LP over the CD on my system. The CD sounds dull, congested, muddy, and lacking in dynamics. If I push up the volume, the sound becomes noticeably harsh and artificial. '

That's a problem with his amplification, not the CD.
    Thanks for the clarity Martin, could not have put is better myself.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Jo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    To me corporations are already intruding and having too much control in our lives, and I want autonomy.
    Agreed. Streaming vs. CD or vinyl is not just as issue over convenience and quality. Whie it is undoubtedly very convenient to be able to use streaming sites to find new composers and check out various versions of a piece, I am uncomfortable with the privacy that these companies walk away with. I can 'go private' and use track blockers &c, but these technicques are vrtually useless against fingerprinting tech. If i pay cash for a CD or an LP the seller can't access my details and online habits and sell them on to third parties. Fingerprinting is becoming more of a problem for me.
    Last edited by Landloper; 05-02-2020 at 17:16. Reason: ORTHOGRAPHY

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910