+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Streaming Doomed?

I'm Grant.

Vinyl is still, or would be my preferred method but it's files and streaming for me now.
    No mobility isn't an issue now.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Deleted.

My personal opinion is that streaming (unlike CD) still has a strong future. However, at present, it is very much the poor cousin and both CD and vinyl are very obviously better.
    Account Deleted

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by griffo104 View Post
    I don't see anything from CD that I can't get from a good streaming service as well as access to a huge amount of music.
    Very slightly different, but essentially the same technology - tonight we tried to watch live TV (ITV) via broadband. For various reasons we do that quite often. We can't get good Freeview in this location, but we can get satellite TV, so sometimes we watch that instead, but mostly we have shifted to broadband - the so-called Negroponte shift.

Usually it works well enough, though sometimes there are bufferings issues and drop outs. Tonight we had one of the weirdest problems. We paused the stream during an advert break, but when we resumed the video and audio were totally unlinked. I don't mean slght - a small lip sync issue - I mean the audio didn't even seem to relate to the scenes being shown. We stopped the stream and tried to kickstart it again. I believe that streaminig audio could have similar problems on occasion - though many people will of course get reasonable quality if they live in an area with good broadband. Actually our broadband ought to be very good, as we're almost right on top of the local distribution point, but athough we can often get 60+mbps, we still do get buffering issues.

Compare that with owning CDs - of which I have many. Yes - it's a pain to have to go to get the boxes out of the room down the corridor, and to choose a CD, or one out of a large box of CDs, but once done almost all of them play well. The quality is mostly very good, and I'm afraid to say my choice is pretty huge. Also, I may have some CDs which are not on streaming services, though I agree that some streaming services have a huge choice. I'm not sure that all streaming services are prepared to keep a library of recordings going back 50 or more years, and there are pieces which are certainly worth hearing from long bygone eras.

An added complication is that if a streaming or download service fails, or merges with another company, the rules change, and customers may find that the service they thought they were getting "for ever" is now not what it was. This has happened already several times, and it is likely to continue to happen in the future.
    Dave

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by tapid View Post
    Yup, just put a c d in or spin a record. Thats the way to do it. lol
    That is what I do, and I have only a few CDs, but they are of very high value - to me major works of art music because they were so much inspirational in my developmental years. Probably only 100 CDs at most, and they are reference for me.

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Ed sheeran.. Don't think I've heard any of his stuff. Maybe fortunate there
    For the life of me I cannot see any merit in Sheeran's stuff, but he does have the persona of a person who is genuine, and genuinely in touch with his inner self. (albeit still in a nursery.)

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by griffo104 View Post
    Never see the point in going back to CD. I see nothing to be nostalgic about it. Crap plastic cases, crap little booklets and and shiny discs hidden in a drawer of a big overpriced metal box. At one point, yes, cd sounded better than streaming but with services offering higher resolution, broadband getting faster and dacs getting more popular (and cheaper if you want to look at china), then who really wants to go back to CD ????

I don't see anything from CD that I can't get from a good streaming service as well as access to a huge amount of music.

Vinyl is a bit different as that is a more physical, tactile and nostalgic format and turntables are things of beauty (imo of course).
    Yes the physicality is crap.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Very slightly different, but essentially the same technology - tonight we tried to watch live TV (ITV) via broadband. For various reasons we do that quite often. We can't get good Freeview in this location, but we can get satellite TV, so sometimes we watch that instead, but mostly we have shifted to broadband - the so-called Negroponte shift.

Usually it works well enough, though sometimes there are bufferings issues and drop outs. Tonight we had one of the weirdest problems. We paused the stream during an advert break, but when we resumed the video and audio were totally unlinked. I don't mean slght - a small lip sync issue - I mean the audio didn't even seem to relate to the scenes being shown. We stopped the stream and tried to kickstart it again. I believe that streaminig audio could have similar problems on occasion - though many people will of course get reasonable quality if they live in an area with good broadband. Actually our broadband ought to be very good, as we're almost right on top of the local distribution point, but athough we can often get 60+mbps, we still do get buffering issues.

Compare that with owning CDs - of which I have many. Yes - it's a pain to have to go to get the boxes out of the room down the corridor, and to choose a CD, or one out of a large box of CDs, but once done almost all of them play well. The quality is mostly very good, and I'm afraid to say my choice is pretty huge. Also, I may have some CDs which are not on streaming services, though I agree that some streaming services have a huge choice. I'm not sure that all streaming services are prepared to keep a library of recordings going back 50 or more years, and there are pieces which are certainly worth hearing from long bygone eras.

An added complication is that if a streaming or download service fails, or merges with another company, the rules change, and customers may find that the service they thought they were getting "for ever" is now not what it was. This has happened already several times, and it is likely to continue to happen in the future.
    Good post Dave.

I have about 2,000 CDs (and about the same number of LPs) and yes, they do take up a lot of space - but they are mine, I own them and can play them as many times as I like, unlike streaming whereby you only have paid a licence to play but do not actually own a copy of the music.

It's probably a generational thing, but I like to own, rather than rent, the things I use - be it the TV, music or my car.
    Barry

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    My personal opinion is that streaming (unlike CD) still has a strong future. However, at present, it is very much the poor cousin and both CD and vinyl are very obviously better.
    With about 80% of music now consumed via streaming I think the future is already here mate.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It's probably a generational thing, but I like to own, rather than rent, the things I use - be it the TV, music or my car.
    Plus if you have the CD you can (or could ...) play it in a car - if there's a CD player, which is getting rare these days, or rip it (which is technically lillegal in the UK) to a memory stick. OK - I know that some streaming services provide an "off-line" mode and that "everyone" uses a smartphone these days (I don't, but I have one, which I don't use) which they use to play music.

I used to copy CDs for use in my car - to keep the originals in good condition, but I'm happy to use the ones I buy from charity shops in cars. Sometimes I rip several to mp3 - so I can get about 5 CDs on one disc.

To be fair to younger people, a large collection takes up quite a lot of space - and many people don't have a lot of living space, or the time to listen either.
    Dave

I'm Dennis.

To me corporations are already intruding and having too much control in our lives, and I want autonomy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast