+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server/streamer advice

I'm Richard.

Default Server/streamer advice

Hi folks,
    It seems the vast majority of streamers/servers only work with NAS drives. I don't actually stream but would like to get the best sound I can out of my cd ripped WAV files which are on a western digital hard drive. I don't want to use my laptop. I currently use a Cambridge 851N streamer which is superb but I wonder if there's anything even better out there which can read directly from an external hard drive.
    I have a couple of DACs but suggestions of equipment that has its own Dac are welcome too.

I'm Lawrence.

I've just bought an SOtM 200 but there are more expensive models. I'll find out soon how good it is with ripped files, apparently it can be a bit slow.

I'm Tony.

Richard,

There are a lot of fans on here recommending Raspberry Pi systems, with Allo and PecanPi options being particular favourites. Something well worth exploring I think.
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Rob.

If you're haven't considered Raspberry Pi before, I think this video gives a good overview.

Last edited by ReggieB; 28-01-2020 at 08:54. Reason: typo
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Richard.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately I'm not going down the Raspberry route. The SOtM look interesting & have noticed there's been a couple for sale recently, I await your findings Lawrence.
    I may have to consider a NAS drive to enable me to improve on the Cambridge. My virgin router only has Ethernet connections (no USB).... Any recommendations? Cheers

I'm Ian.

VM hubs really need to run in modem mode with a third party wifi router attached. Stick a thirdy party wifi router on it and you get usb plus better internet and wifi. Draytek gear is brilliant

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny nocash View Post
    Hi folks,
    It seems the vast majority of streamers/servers only work with NAS drives. I don't actually stream but would like to get the best sound I can out of my cd ripped WAV files which are on a western digital hard drive. I don't want to use my laptop. I currently use a Cambridge 851N streamer which is superb but I wonder if there's anything even better out there which can read directly from an external hard drive.
    I have a couple of DACs but suggestions of equipment that has its own Dac are welcome too.
    Surely it's all down to cost? You already have a very capable streamer - I don't understand why you want to look at other options for a streamer?

You have .wav files so probably the cheapest option is a NAS. I've got a £100 Western Digital which is cheap as chips and probably sneered at by audiophiles, but then again it's sat there for 4 years untouched serving up mp3 files - some from youtube, some from lost CDs ripped to mp3 (who knew ?)

But surely a NAS is the most obvious choice?

I'm Ian.

Can get a new synoligy ds120 for under £100 plus drive cost.

I'm Andre.

I bought a Phantom Raspberry Blower when they first appeared, i found it unnecessarily complicated.. I just use a Small Dell PC with HRT streamer. All Files are on outboard Hard Drive. Ive replaced the PC internal HDD for SSD the PC now loads instantly. Sounds super..
    Last edited by Made in 1968; 02-02-2020 at 21:59.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ian View Post
    Can get a new synoligy ds120 for under £100 plus drive cost.
    I just checked my NAS - 2tb and I have hardly started to use that amount of capacity.
    The Synology with 2tb WD Red disk installed is £186...... or just buy the bare drive chassis and put your disk in there. If it was me I'd buy a 2 disk drive enclosure and keep a copy of my files on one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast