+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Is Streaming Doomed?

I'm Grant.

Average is a bit dearer than cd but usually not too much. Depends on the seller band and handling company. I get lots at £ 4..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    What im not understanding is why the industry are not making the effort to make everything abvailable as a lossless Download where you can legally pay for, instead we have shitty MP-3 available from various outlets. No way on earth would i pay for a lossy file.
    It is just a symptom of a greater malaise in society - dumbed down.

I'm Dennis.

grant im talking about everything that is on CD should be made available to buy on lossless if they want people to take it seriously. seems to me like the future is set for the young genaration that dont give a fuck about sound or where they get the music from..
    In their dumbed down experience, they have never experienced good sound, or for that matter good art.

I'm Simon.

grant im talking about everything that is on CD should be made available to buy on lossless if they want people to take it seriously. seems to me like the future is set for the young genaration that dont give a fuck about sound or where they get the music from..
    Slightly disagree here, Tidal and Qobuz offer lossless streaming and Amazon has now also recently offered a lossless service so actually the current trend is ditch MP3 and go lossless.

I'm listening to an album now on Amazon HD which according to my DAC is 16/44.1

I pay £20 for a family plan and I can download onto a portable device for playing offline.

One of the main benefits of streaming is for phone users, on a data plan do you really want to stream a full specced recording? You data plan isn't going to last very long of a full hi-res stream due to the size of the recording. On wifi at home you can then open it up.

I'm Simon.

I'll also add that as a 50 year old I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the amount of my contemporaries that care about sound quality, it's not just the youngsters.

I'm Andre.

O i know this. My missus sits there listening to music on a mobile phone. I sit there fuming lol.. I do moan about all this & the way things are going but im really glad i have a short list of what i want & generally have most of what i want, im really glad im out of oit all.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by griffo104 View Post
    I'll also add that as a 50 year old I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the amount of my contemporaries that care about sound quality, it's not just the youngsters.
    Are any of them musical or musicians? I think that may make a difference. I am somewhat older than you and I can still tell the difference between grotty sound and something better, and I know which I prefer. I do go to quite a lot of live events.

I don’t know about the activities of younger people. Some may have damaged hearing due to listening to music too loud, while others may simply have become used to the sound of poor quality recordings. It is possible that some may have no idea what good quality systems or recordings sound like. If the only sounds people listen to are recordings they are unlikely to have a clue what good quality sound experiences are like.
    Dave

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by griffo104 View Post
    Are any of them musical or musicians? I think that may make a difference. I am somewhat older than you and I can still tell the difference between grotty sound and something better, and I know which I prefer. I do go to quite a lot of live events.

I don’t know about the activities of younger people. Some may have damaged hearing due to listening to music too loud, while others may simply have become used to the sound of poor quality recordings. It is possible that some may have no idea what good quality systems or recordings sound like. If the only sounds people listen to are recordings they are unlikely to have a clue what good quality sound experiences are like.
    Dave

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post

Yes a couple of musicians I know do indeed enjoy their sound quality and both enjoy mainly vinyl based systems.

From my youngsters I would say the ease of availability far outreaches how it sounds. My turntable always get appreciative nods from their friends but they really don't care about CD.

I'm Guy.

I have been streaming in lossless for 5 years now with Tidal.

I ditched physical media around 4 and a half years ago.

I use Volumio with Tidal, which is lossless and Qobuz which is lossless and hi res. Deciding whether I want to move to Qobuz from Tidal.

I mainly listen to classical, soundtracks and electronic mixsets and haven't had a problem with lossless since the early MP3 players from 10-15 years ago. I know some of the cheap 'streamers' have an issue, even things like the chromecast, as they load one track at a time, no doubt due to buffer size.

I am at the point where my font end is a Raspberry Pi and my Dac is a Khadas Tone Board, it sounds absolutely sublime. It cost me £120.

It will play music from any other device around the house too, but the reality is the streaming services sound better, so I don't bother anymore, in fact, since swapping over my system and room a few months back I haven't even bothered attaching my NAS drive.

I have discovered so much new music since using Tidal and soundcloud etc.
    I used to buy maybe 4 albums a month, which is what? 45-50 a year. Cost me £50 a month or so. I would guess I would love 3 or 4 of those each year and play them a lot, the others would have a track or two I liked but rarely played because I couldn't be bothered to get the disc out for those couple of tracks.
    I now have access to pretty much everything, I can put tracks I like into playlists and therefore I get to listen to artists that I would often neglect far more than I ever did with vinyl or CDs.
    What I can say is this, the music I have in my collection is all music I love, and music that is on constant rotation, plus I am discovering more new music than ever.

Oh, and it costs me £20 a month for lossless, £25 for Hi Rez.

Volumio is £22 a year I think.

I liked Roon, a lot. I ran it for 2 years.
    But Volumio does every thing I need for far less money.
    Sitting Room - Volumio- Tidal - Raspberry Pi with Khadas Tone Board - Marantz PM7003 - Spendor S6e + Rel Strata.
    TV Room - Arcam Solo Movie + Mission 752s + Mission 75c + Rel Strata.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast