+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Streaming Doomed?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've got a guitar so can always make my own music if push comes to shove. I mean that's what they did in the olden days.

It just won't be very good.

Big problem facing streaming services is that they aren't making any profit. So something will have to change at some point.
    Hillybilly Macca,...frae Stoke
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Reach for your banjo, yiha
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Big problem facing streaming services is that they aren't making any profit. So something will have to change at some point.
    Looks like Spotify is getting there - two consecutive profitable quarters, apparently. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...happen-910456/
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Dennis.

I haven't committed to streaming yet, although in principle I regard it as the way forward.

My problem is the multiplicity of routes, and the apparent unreliability and incompatibility of so much both hard and software, that I am unable to resolve an approach which fulfils my aims.

I would pay someone o cut through the dross and give me the best solution; there always seems to be a problem or drawback with each.

I'm Grant.

I think if your happy to use a pc/laptop as a core, then if your prepared to spend on it, Roon is no doubt the best solution as it can host Tidal or qobuz..... pop that therough whatever endpoints(dacs etc) and youve got a damn good sound that basically just works.
    Needs a fairly good speed pc with memory and preferably an ssd to hold core program imo tho.

Must admit when ive got enough pennies i think I will buy it.. its damn good
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I think if your happy to use a pc/laptop as a core, then if your prepared to spend on it, Roon is no doubt the best solution as it can host Tidal or qobuz..... pop that therough whatever endpoints(dacs etc) and youve got a damn good sound that basically just works.
    Needs a fairly good speed pc with memory and preferably an ssd to hold core program imo tho.

Must admit when ive got enough pennies i think I will buy it.. its damn good
    I know folk who have had ROON and could not wait to get rid of it after a short while.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I haven't committed to streaming yet, although in principle I regard it as the way forward.

My problem is the multiplicity of routes, and the apparent unreliability and incompatibility of so much both hard and software, that I am unable to resolve an approach which fulfils my aims.

I would pay someone o cut through the dross and give me the best solution; there always seems to be a problem or drawback with each.
    Yup, just put a c d in or spin a record. Thats the way to do it. lol

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I know folk who have had ROON and could not wait to get rid of it after a short while.
    Any reason?
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Tony.

Streaming will evolve, however FBA is clearly a big step up from actually streaming makes CD's sound quite ordinary, however for the most part Cd's do sound a better than streaming if you have a respectable cd player imho.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Any reason?
    No UPnp, connectivity problems, metadata issues and constant updating and manipulation of stored library.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast