+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Streaming Doomed?

I'm Rob.

I think it's worth making a distinction between streaming from online services like Tidal and Spotify, and streaming from locally stored downloaded or ripped files. The two are different - particularly I think as to what people get from the service. The former does give someone access to a huge range of music at a decent quality. The later can sound excellent and give one the reassurance of ownership (not being tied to the vagaries of a service you have no control over).

I'm in the later camp. I like downloading and rip music and having my own store of music. However, I still have my CDs and LPs. For me it's just another format - one I like mainly because I can hear or read about a bit of music, try it on something like Youtube, and if I like it, be listening to it in high quality in minutes. All from the comfort of my study chair.

I still like CDs and LPs. The tactile nature of them is a real pleasure, but I agree that neither format is put into shadow by streamed music. They can all sound good, and in my system to my ears they all do.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Every generation or so there is an attempt by the music industry to persuade us to re-purchase music we already bought in a new format. The latest model allows us to "rent" at modest cost from a near unlimited library. Whilst vinyl may persist as a "niche" market, I cannot see CDs surviving in the longer term as they have neither the "tangibility" or "nostalgic" lure of the former.

Personally, I cannot understand the negative attitude by some to streaming, though those not attracted to the model can carry on buying CDs or vinyl ..... for now! I still have a large vinyl collection and a huge cd collection but have gone over almost completely to streaming (either online or my own cd rips). A Tidal subscription allows me to listen to a huge amount of new material that I would never hear without the "rental model".
    Looking to the future when producing co2 as a result of producing energy (electricity) from whatever source, then electricity and its use may become very expensive and even elitist. Using a valuable power resources to run myriads of servers and storage devices around the world to support streaming of any sort may become too costly and even seen as a bad thing, people are already talking about digital carbon footprint. So back to home storage whether analogue or digital of some sort may be the future.

I did read somewhere that modern tech, mobile phones, computers, tablets, internet and networks was a vast energy consumer already and its may need to be focused on important stuff only in the future. That will be an interesting one to achieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Looking to the future when producing co2 as a result of producing energy (electricity) from whatever source, then electricity and its use may become very expensive and even elitist. Using a valuable power resources to run myriads of servers and storage devices around the world to support streaming of any sort may become too costly and even seen as a bad thing, people are already talking about digital carbon footprint. So back to home storage whether analogue or digital of some sort may be the future.

I did read somewhere that modern tech, mobile phones, computers, tablets, internet and networks was a vast energy consumer already and its may need to be focused on important stuff only in the future. That will be an interesting one to achieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, servers do consume a lot of electricity but increasingly these will be powered by renewable sources. Iceland is developing a huge server industry based upon its abundant and largely "free" geothermal energy.

Contrast this with the financial and environmental cost of producing physical media such as vinyl and cds; the distribution costs of physical media; and the end of life disposal costs.

I'm Grant.

The world is doomed anyway so lets partay
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    The world is doomed anyway so lets partay
    Agreed. I feel great sympathy for the younger generation. What a world to be born into. We are running headlong to extinction.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Yes, servers do consume a lot of electricity but increasingly these will be powered by renewable sources. Iceland is developing a huge server industry based upon its abundant and largely "free" geothermal energy.

Contrast this with the financial and environmental cost of producing physical media such as vinyl and cds; the distribution costs of physical media; and the end of life disposal costs.
    I agree but even even creating energy from neutral sources has a carbon footprint from building it to maintenance and in the long term replacing it, I am not saying it isn't better than other forms of energy generation, but it is not necessarily clear cut. Also how efficient the Green generated power (electricity) is used is pretty important as well. I believe a recent study at an American university worked out the total carbon footprint of building a Tesla, maintaining it for 10 years, running it for 100K miles and then scraping it, and compared that with an equivalent petrol driven car, sadly the petrol car had the lower carbon footprint. At present in the UK we are around 50% green electricity generated for our current needs, I am not sure how long the forecast is to get to 100% but it is certainly quite a few years into the future. If you add to that +30 million electric cars then I think the amount of daily required generated electricity required is massively increased, so it will be interesting how and where a country like the UK will being getting its Electric power to support its needs.

Also I have been told that to produce one litre of ethanol for bio-fuel use produces a bigger carbon footprint than producing the same in petrol, so this implies ethanol as a additive to replace petrol is not such a great idea, apart form the fact that large organisations are destroying/burning vast swaths of forests(the lungs of the Earth) and planting cereals to then produce bio-fuels, this all seems a bit cock-eyed to me.

Don't get me wrong I don't think fossil fuel burning is the way forward I just don't think the right solutions have been thought through and the total environmental impacts. It is interesting how certain other technologies have been rubbished or resisted by large corporations as they probably would impact control and profits long term.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I agree but even even creating energy from neutral sources has a carbon footprint from building it to maintenance and in the long term replacing it, I am not saying it isn't better than other forms of energy generation, but it is not necessarily clear cut. Also how efficient the Green generated power (electricity) is used is pretty important as well. I believe a recent study at an American university worked out the total carbon footprint of building a Tesla, maintaining it for 10 years, running it for 100K miles and then scraping it, and compared that with an equivalent petrol driven car, sadly the petrol car had the lower carbon footprint. At present in the UK we are around 50% green electricity generated for our current needs, I am not sure how long the forecast is to get to 100% but it is certainly quite a few years into the future. If you add to that +30 million electric cars then I think the amount of daily required generated electricity required is massively increased, so it will be interesting how and where a country like the UK will being getting its Electric power to support its needs.

Also I have been told that to produce one litre of ethanol for bio-fuel use produces a bigger carbon footprint than producing the same in petrol, so this implies ethanol as a additive to replace petrol is not such a great idea, apart form the fact that large organisations are destroying/burning vast swaths of forests(the lungs of the Earth) and planting cereals to then produce bio-fuels, this all seems a bit cock-eyed to me.

Don't get me wrong I don't think fossil fuel burning is the way forward I just don't think the right solutions have been thought through and the total environmental impacts. It is interesting how certain other technologies have been rubbished or resisted by large corporations as they probably would impact control and profits long term.
    Renewable technology is improving continuously and will eventually displace fossil fuels (if we survive that long!). However, I don't think that that energy consumption is a major impediment to streaming, even now.

I'm Dominic.

We will all be going back to wind up clockwork gramophones, you mark my words
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    We will all be going back to wind up clockwork gramophones, you mark my words
    Ive got 2 so am ok
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I've got a guitar so can always make my own music if push comes to shove. I mean that's what they did in the olden days.

It just won't be very good.

Big problem facing streaming services is that they aren't making any profit. So something will have to change at some point.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast