+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Streaming Doomed?

I'm Andre.

Default Is Streaming Doomed?

Yeah & i set out using files instead of CD but ended up going back to CD dumping the files..

I'm Dominic.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Yeah & i set out using files instead of CD but ended up going back to CD dumping the files..
    Smart move.

Streaming, schmeaming, it will all end in tears. I can forsee the artistes getting fed up with getting pennies or less for their output while the streaming companies get richer, so I forsee a return to solid hold in yer hands kinds of media.
    CD player = Marantz CD6006
    DAC/pre = Rotel RC 1572
    Power amp = ADA PF201
    Speaks = Quadral Chromium Style 6

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuffin View Post
    Smart move.

Streaming, schmeaming, it will all end in tears. I can forsee the artistes getting fed up with getting pennies or less for their output while the streaming companies get richer, so I forsee a return to solid hold in yer hands kinds of media.
    I don’t think you will ever get the genie back in the bottle now, even if you wanted to. When I look at my 3,500 odd CDs now in the garage, there are probably 2,000 that I only played once. Not sure how much profit would be made by the artist for a CD, but let’s say £1. So, to keep the maths simple, if I have an album I love with 10 tracks on it, and stream it that’s 1p per track, 10p for the whole album. There are many albums in my collection I must have played well over a hundred times, so on the streaming basis, the artist is much better off.

Streaming makes it much more democratic in my mind, if your music is great and people consume it you’ll make plenty, if it’s not, and people don’t, you get paid on a relative model. The world has moved on, and the general public (not us in a minority) are not going to move back to an outdated model in my humble opinion.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

By the way, I’m going to move the off topic conversation to a new thread rather than crapping on this for sale post. Stand by your beds.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Andre.

Way i see so called music these days is, it is us thta wants paying to listen to it

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Way i see so called music these days is, it is us thta wants paying to listen to it

Now that is definitely an interesting business model! perhaps justified in many cases!
    Alex

I'm Andre.

There u go £3.5K better off

I'm Geoff.

Every generation or so there is an attempt by the music industry to persuade us to re-purchase music we already bought in a new format. The latest model allows us to "rent" at modest cost from a near unlimited library. Whilst vinyl may persist as a "niche" market, I cannot see CDs surviving in the longer term as they have neither the "tangibility" or "nostalgic" lure of the former.

Personally, I cannot understand the negative attitude by some to streaming, though those not attracted to the model can carry on buying CDs or vinyl ..... for now! I still have a large vinyl collection and a huge cd collection but have gone over almost completely to streaming (either online or my own cd rips). A Tidal subscription allows me to listen to a huge amount of new material that I would never hear without the "rental model".

I'm Lee.

In tomorrow’s news Netflix is over and we’re all going back to Betamax!
    Cambridge audio cxc,CCA Spotify premium
    Beresford seg,dorado,supercap and clock mods
    Dcb1 750ma pre
    Quad QSP power
    Monitor Audio silver 8i
    Kimber powerkords,4vs speaker cable,pbj and Klotz mc5000 interconnects.

I'm Twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Personally, I cannot understand the negative attitude by some to streaming, though those not attracted to the model can carry on buying CDs or vinyl ..... for now! I still have a large vinyl collection and a huge cd collection but have gone over almost completely to streaming (either online or my own cd rips). A Tidal subscription allows me to listen to a huge amount of new material that I would never hear without the "rental model".
    Well said. Ditto
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast