+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article on Vinyl vs CD

I'm James.

Default Interesting article on Vinyl vs CD

VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

I'm Andre.

I noticed the mention of first CD ever mass-produced in America, Born in the USA, I always thought it was Abba Arrival!

I'm Bob.

Bob Ludwig's (and I mastered the first CD ever mass-produced in America, Born in the USA) idea of a well mastered recording and my own must be different.

I have one of the very early copies of this CD, only the second I bought back in the 80's, and I rarely play it it's so bright. Goodness knows where the bass finished up.

I have good and bad CD's, the same as I have good and bad LP's so I'm way past the CD vs Vinyl debate. In my view it's not the medium, rather more the expertise of the recording and mastering engineer that makes for a standout product. Take a listen to some of the stuff Giles Martin has done with the original (and old) Beatles recordings. He couldn't change the way they were recorded but he sure changed the end result.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: AKAI GX-635D
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord M Scaler / DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Bob Ludwig's (and I mastered the first CD ever mass-produced in America, Born in the USA) idea of a well mastered recording and my own must be different.

I have one of the very early copies of this CD, only the second I bought back in the 80's, and I rarely play it it's so bright. Goodness knows where the bass finished up.
    It's a pop record though and had lots of singles on it so maybe it was mastered for radio play? They don't like too much bass on the radio.

I've only got it on vinyl so can't compare.
    Current Lash Up:

*Sony SCD XB790QS* Nelson Pass DCB1 / Krell KSA100 mkII * JM Lab Electra 926 *

'You fool! To think that your ape-brain could contain the full knowledge of the Krell!'

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Take a listen to some of the stuff Giles Martin has done with the original (and old) Beatles recordings. He couldn't change the way they were recorded but he sure changed the end result.
    Yes, and it's debatable whether that 'end result' is as good as the original pressings (when played in mint condition)... Mono, done well, can be superb

Don't get me wrong, I rate the Giles Martin remasters highly, but for me they lack the 'rawness', sonically, of the originals (essential for this type of music to sound real), due to their rough edges having been a little too 'well polished'. IMO, the resulting sound is just a little too 'sanitised'.

I own numerous examples of both, so can carry out quick comparisons, and for me, there's still nothing to touch the originals, accurately conveying the essence of The Beatles 'sound'

Marco.
    I always feel sad for those who are (or have been) less fortunate than me in life and love.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, and it's debatable whether that 'end result' is as good as the original pressings (when played in mint condition)... Mono, done well, can be superb

Don't get me wrong, I rate the Giles Martin remasters highly, but for me they lack the 'rawness', sonically, of the originals (essential for this type of music to sound real), due to their rough edges having been a little too 'well polished'. IMO, the resulting sound is just a little too 'sanitised'.

I own numerous examples of both, so can carry out quick comparisons, and for me, there's still nothing to touch the originals, accurately conveying the essence of The Beatles 'sound'

Marco.
    And probably the way they intended it to sound?
    VPI Scout 1.1 - Ortofon 2M Black FGS - Croft 25R+ - Croft Series 7 - Spendor SP2

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Exactly... So for me, robbing recordings of that 'sound' does not make them better, regardless of whether the end result is more sonically appealing to audiophiles

Marco.
    I always feel sad for those who are (or have been) less fortunate than me in life and love.

I'm Grant.

Think we have been over this before in that original Beatles stuff was mastered to be replayed on fairly low quality gear and still sound ok. More folk now either listen on higher quality gear or in many cases headphones from their phones. hence the stereo imaging is much more centraland of course the loudness up(imo too far up)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    OPPO BDP-103D - JBE SERIES 3/B&O SP1/PROJECT PHONOBOX DS2 USB - QUAD VENA 2 - IFI PURIFIER 2/TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK POWER AMPLIFIERS - LEAF HD BLUETOOTH - OPPO PM-3 PLANAR, SONY H900 & NURAPHONE HEADPHONES - ZBOOK/ IFI SILENCER/WIN10 PRO/AUDIRVANA & JRIVER - SMSL M6 DAC & IFI SILENCER - RPI 3+, DIGIONE HAT/VOLUMIO2 - EDINGDALE MK1 SPEAKERS - CABLE INC CHORD, MOGAMI, SUPRA & WIREWORLD

**Men are not punished for their sins, but by them**Don't be such a big girl's blouse!**
    ***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

RIP Terry... "We use only the finest baby frogs, dew picked and flown from Iraq, cleansed in finest quality spring water, lightly killed, and then sealed in a succulent Swiss quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope and lovingly frosted with glucose."

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    I noticed the mention of first CD ever mass-produced in America, Born in the USA, I always thought it was Abba Arrival!
    ℅ Wiki

"The first commercial compact disc was produced on 17 August 1982. It was a recording from 1979 of Claudio Arrau performing Chopin waltzes (Philips 400 025-2). Arrau was invited to the Langenhagen plant to press the start button. The first popular music CD produced at the new factory was The Visitors (1981) by ABBA."

On Discogs NM copy Philips 400 025-2 is around £60, and there is a Mint one for £999.99 if anyone fancies it.
    [FONT="Arial"]
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes

Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S & Michel Cusis MC cartridge, Furutech AG-12-R4 High Performance Phono Cable, LFD MMC special phono stage, Rothwell MCX SUT, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi to Beresford Caiman SEG DAC, Sony 3d blu-Ray for CDs to Caiman SEG, ALLNIC T1500 MKII SET 300B amp, Tannoy Legacy Arden speakers and JBL L100 Century's , Chord Epic speaker leads, & signature links, the Eccose Conductor CA1 cd to pre, I think I am at audio nirvana, but donít tell anyone

I'm openingabottleofwine.

No doubt the very first CD produced of the Chopin waltzes was given to Arrau to mark the occasion.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast