+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rega Neo User Review

I'm steve.

Default Rega Neo User Review

I’ve had a Rega P3 2016 now for over 2 years, I bought it second hand at less than 6 months old, it came with Ely’s 2 and TTPSU. I too don’t have many 45s in fact 3 so electronic speed change was not a necessity, if I’d have been buying the P3 new I wouldn’t have bought the TTPSU at all. Lots of users online always quote adding the TTPSU as the first thing in the upgrade path for the P3, because of this I conducted extensive comparative listening tests over a period of several days to evaluate if there was any improvement to the sound quality using the TTPSU, I also did speed tests with an iPhone app as well as with a strobe disc and strobe light. The results were disappointing inasmuch as I could detect no differences either in sound quality or absolute speed or W&F, for that reason I sold on the TTPSU. In my experience the first useful thing that can be done to improve the P3 is to upgrade the subplatter to a machined aluminium one such as the one I purchased from 33RPM Engineering limited for just over £50, that did give a perceptible improvement in SQ which I can only put down to a reduction in measured W&F which the change of subplatter coupled with the change to an Edwards Audio Little Belter Blue Drive belt has produced. Buying the Neo by my estimation is only really worth it if you’re someone who constantly swaps from LP to 45s, I believe there is speed adjustment on the Neo which could be useful if your deck doesn’t revolve at 33.33RPM, as it happens in its current form mine is spot on to within 0.01RPM and W&F is around 0.1% using the standard wall wart PSU which is as good as the majority of belt drives.

Picture taken before Blue belt added.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm simon.

after reading only good things about the neo, i have just ordered one.
    steve-z , yours is the first negative comment i have read so far.
    not having a dig, btw, its good that you give your honest opinion.
    i will have to do similar tests as you have and hear for myself.
    i have also just received a new sub-platter from Ben at 33rpm engineering. i could not find a dealer for the "little belter" so took the plunge and ordered a rega belt (the one they recommend for use with the neo).
    it will be interesting to see if i notice any SQ improvement with this lot, though i will be a tad disappointed if i dont.
    so far the only upgrade i have done is replacing the elys2 with an exact and i can say that was a huge difference to my ears.
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990
    >or Garage 1217 Project Ember (as pre)>Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10.
    ANALOGUE: Rega P8>Rega Aria> Rega Elex-R>Dynaudio M10

I'm martin.

Got a link to the firm? Can only find tube links but nothing their products. Ta.
    Please take good care of your S2k keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2k with many friends so that the legend of the S2k will continue for long. Shigeru Uehara Designer Honda S2000.

I'm Dave.

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Ta, but sorry should have made it clear I meant 33rpm engineering with regards to products mentioned by ‘oldson’
    Please take good care of your S2k keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2k with many friends so that the legend of the S2k will continue for long. Shigeru Uehara Designer Honda S2000.

I'm simon.

Quote Originally Posted by archiesdad View Post
    Ta, but sorry should have made it clear I meant 33rpm engineering with regards to products mentioned by ‘oldson’
    https://www.fidelitydesignsltd.co.uk...bplatters.html

there you go

love the avatar btw
    Last edited by oldson; 15-03-2023 at 19:56.
    DIGITAL:flac/pc/foobar/wasapi>Chord Qutest> Frans' (Solderdude) headphone correction filter>Violectric V200>Senn HD650, Beyer DT1990

I'm martin.

Thanks muchly.

I'm simon.

have done some AB testing now and i believe i can hear a sonic improvement with the Neo. mostly lower noise floor.
    have also added an acryllic platter from 33rpm, its roughly 25mm thick and was not cheap but again added further improvements.

most people would have advised me to just upgrade to an rp6, which is probably the right advice. but i like to tinker.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12