+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rega Neo User Review

I'm Chris.

Default Rega Neo User Review

Hi Guys,

I have a 2016 model Planar 3/Elys 2 and have been wondering whether the Neo would be a worthwhile improvement. IMHO Rega have pretty well got the speed stability sorted in the 2016 stock Planar 3 and as I don't use 45s the electronic speed change was not a big deal to me however I thought the lower motor noise might be beneficial.

So I took some soundings from knowledgeable friends and and the consensus seemed to be yes it is an upgrade but don't expect a night and day improvement. As I was unconvinced I let it go until by chance I came across a used one for under half price and thought it was worth a punt.

Once I got it and as it was used I reset it to the original factory settings, hooked it up and as predicted did not hear major improvements except in bass articulation and definition which was obviously better. Anyway after a few days use it seemed to significantly improve with a cleaner more precise presentation across the bandwidth and notably better rhythm and timing so if anything the trademark Rega joie de vivre sound is enhanced a bit. It is also easier to follow an instrument even in complex mixes.

It runs with the case just warm to the touch but not hot and does not cause any hum issues in my experience.

In this day of megabucks prices for marginal if any real sonic improvements IMHO the Neo delivers a genuine and significant improvement at a typically reasonable Rega price. So for any of you Planar 3 owners out there thinking of a Neo as an upgrade it is IMHO well worthwhile giving it a try. So well done Rega!

Chris

I'm Geoff.

What's a Rega Neo? An intro followed by a description might be good. Some may wish to know function, spec and price too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gary.

Power supplier!

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    What's a Rega Neo? An intro followed by a description might be good. Some may wish to know function, spec and price too.
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Power supplier!

Gary
    Is that the same thing as a power supply? And would it be a linear type or an SMPS?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Pavel.

It's a quartz-based sine wave generator supplying clean 24V AC to the motor.

I'm Dave.

And very effective it is too. Also reasonably priced.

I'm Chris.

..sorry guys. I thought most on AOS would know it is a Rega turntable PSU. Thanks for the timely reminder not to make assumptions..so I will go to the bottom of the class ..again!

Chris

I'm Dave.

Anyone interested in Rega turntables would most likely know what a Neo is.

I'm Gary.

Yes.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Is that the same thing as a power supply? And would it be a linear type or an SMPS?

I'm Gary.

I’m there too

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by cjm123 View Post
    ..sorry guys. I thought most on AOS would know it is a Rega turntable PSU. Thanks for the timely reminder not to make assumptions..so I will go to the bottom of the class ..again!

Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast