+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ortofon Red Cartridge for Rega RP3?

I'm Stephen.

Default Ortofon Red Cartridge for Rega RP3?

Got one of these for Christmas, but wondering if deck/tone arm might benefit from a posher cartridge, maybe the Blue or Bronze versions? Any thoughts welcome.

I'm steve.

Blue is the sweet spot for price/performance, outclasses the Red by quite a margin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Stephen.

Ok thanks

I'm Ian.

I agree with Steve about the blue. If you can stretch to it the black is a whole new world, fiddly little sod to set up properly but well worth the effort
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Rob.

Yup deffo the Blue, the Red isn't very good to be honest. Also look at the new Audio Technica VM95 range, they are excellent.

I'm Dave.

Blue definitely a lot better than the Red but as Rob says, take a look at the new AT VM95 range. They offer all the 2Ms do but at a fraction of the price.

I'm Clive.

I used to be an Ortofon fanboy, but not any more. To me they have become very average through the ranges, that they are now one of the crowd. I’m not saying Ortofon are poor, they are certainly not and have a few excellent models. There are so many exceptional cartridges out there these days.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

+ Reply to Thread