+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streaming via Coax

I'm Chris.

Default Streaming via Coax

My system is in that awesome period of final tweaks and finishing touches (yeah right . . . ).

So I'm just looking to try some galvanic isolation to my streamer as it runs off some HDD's through powerline adapters (yes I know bad bad bad for the mains) but they are isolated from the ring my hifi is on at least.

Just wondered if anyone has heard audible benefits to running coax adapters? Technically I can see the benefit as it stops electrical noise and interference, certainly more so than running straight from the adapter/router.

I've also heard some people benefit from running a linear powered network switch/hub just before the streamer, any advice one this?

Cheers.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Alastair.

I have no experience with coax isolators, except my Allo Digione has galvanic isolation on its coax output. I have recently been battery powering an Ethernet switch I have just before my RPI and that seems to make an improvement- mainly on the depth and imaging. In fact, just having the switch there made a big improvement.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Alp View Post
    I have recently been battery powering an Ethernet switch
    Nice, I might get a linear supply for a switch just before my streamer then try the coax adapters before and after the switch to gauge improvement.

I used to power anything with batteries DAC's/SUT's/phono stages (low power ones anyway), but got quite fed up reconnecting/switching on the batteries each time and keeping track of when they needed replacing or charging etc.

Improvements were usually noticeable though.

I know the Temple Audio mono's are highly regarded when using their mains charged battery power supply so the theory can be implemented all round.

Cheers
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm Kevin.

Surely the best galvanic isolation would be an optical cable?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Grant.

not got this one but it gets a good name.. i have the usb version.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/spdif-ipurifier/
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Surely the best galvanic isolation would be an optical cable?
    Aiming to isolate the streamer also. Plus my coax cable sounds better with my DAC.

Admittedly I'm not quite up to speed on the validity or necessity of galvanic isolation and where it would be most usefully implemented, but if I can make the "barrier" as early on in the chain as possible, that seems logical to me.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    not got this one but it gets a good name.. i have the usb version.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/spdif-ipurifier/
    Thanks Grant, I have actually tried this a while ago (admittedly when the system was no where near as far along as it is now) but I didn't like it. Even ran it off a separate power supply but it just didn't sound right to me.

Good fun trying though. I have a few other iFi products which really did make a difference. They are engineered very well and make sense in what they do.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Thanks Grant, I have actually tried this a while ago (admittedly when the system was no where near as far along as it is now) but I didn't like it. Even ran it off a separate power supply but it just didn't sound right to me.

Good fun trying though. I have a few other iFi products which really did make a difference. They are engineered very well and make sense in what they do.
    interesting. the usb one works well.. i was considering one, but dont think i will bother now.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

For clarification I'm aiming to galvanic-ally isolate the entire streamer and everything down chain from that.

So the chain will go -- HDD -- Network switch -- powerline adapter -- Coax adapter (send) -- GALVANIC ISOLATION -- Coax adapter (receive) -- Streamer (ethernet in) . . . . .

Hope that makes sense, admittedly it is a bit convoluted and not many have tried it would seem, but I enjoy trying things out even if they are a bit far fetched/unnecessary!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    interesting. the usb one works well.. i was considering one, but dont think i will bother now.
    Might still be worth a try in your system Grant, as I say it is horses for courses and it may react differently in your system.

One thing I have really gotten on with is this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iFi-iPurifi...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

In some positions it does sanitise the sound and things get a bit over-smooth but overall for me, it does improve things. Does some clever phase analysing business and can also reverse ground loops apparently.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast