+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MKI Celestion Ditton 44 - Rebuild & refurb

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    I'm afraid I don't agree; many of the HF2000s are damaged or out of spec now, and replacing them with something modern is perfectly acceptable and can definitely be an improvement. Having said that, I wouldn't rush to change them if yours appear to be OK.

There used to be some mega-threads on diy audio about Ditton 44s and crossovers.
    Once they are all stripped down I'll grab the multimeter so I know for sure. Thanks for reminding me about that thread. I have been searching for it but as yet haven't stumbled upon it.

I'm Geoff.

I can't imagine why anybody might use a damaged HF2000, but they don't go "out of spec". Impedances were never too closely matched even when new, but the variations are inaudibly small. The diaphragm is of similar heat formed boPET type material to the KEF T27 and Coles 4001 and seems to last indefinitely. Unless abused (electrically overloaded), the voicecoil will remain in spec. The Celestion is a great sounding drive unit.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Patrick.

I replaced the HF2000s in my Ditton 66s with Hiquphon OW1s. Much nicer.

I wouldn't go that far with 44s though; the midrange is not as nice as the 66s so it's just not worth the cost.

I'm Geoff.

Theoretically, the Ditton 66 crossovers and midrange units could be transplanted into the 44's and produce an effective speaker. Unfortunately good spare parts are hard to find now and expensive. I seem to recall this may have been done in the past.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andre.

Geoff:
    Exactly why i would not buy '44's is that tweeter, besides my fav was the '33' always will be. Just a shame the Veneers on these models were not of better quality..

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    I replaced the HF2000s in my Ditton 66s with Hiquphon OW1s. Much nicer.

I wouldn't go that far with 44s though; the midrange is not as nice as the 66s so it's just not worth the cost.
    I always though it was the mid dome on the 66 that let it down down as it's known to be quite finicky in comparison to the 44. I know the Hiquphon tweeter is a major upgrade but did it alter/change the original sound?

Shouldn't a complete recap solve the problems with the original midrange?

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Theoretically, the Ditton 66 crossovers and midrange units could be transplanted into the 44's and produce an effective speaker. Unfortunately good spare parts are hard to find now and expensive. I seem to recall this may have been done in the past.
    Depending on the condition of the speakers when they are stripped I'd be up for a project like this if I could find spares for a reasonable price. At least the MD 500 diaphragm can still be replaced.

I'm Andrew.

For what it's worth. I'd stick with the original XO cap values. There are pages and pages of discussion on alternates and they always end up drawing the same conclusion. The original values sound the best.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andre.

I changed the caps in my old '33' with Ansars, Kept with the original values but they altered the sound. You can still buy Elcap Bi-Polar Axial lead caps but i think they are in a different colour can now.. I do agree like for like.. If you are still not happy i sugest a different pair of speakers.. People would have listened to tose '33' and said they were an upgrade over the originals but im afraid what i did forced me to sell them..

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    For what it's worth. I'd stick with the original XO cap values. There are pages and pages of discussion on alternates and they always end up drawing the same conclusion. The original values sound the best.
    Point taken. Totally agree, if it's been done time and time again why repeat history when the outcome is already known.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    I changed the caps in my old '33' with Ansars, Kept with the original values but they altered the sound. You can still buy Elcap Bi-Polar Axial lead caps but i think they are in a different colour can now.. I do agree like for like.. If you are still not happy i sugest a different pair of speakers.. People would have listened to tose '33' and said they were an upgrade over the originals but im afraid what i did forced me to sell them..
    Changing the sound with a recap is always my concern. It's a decision i'll need to make as once it's all stripped and back together I don't want to have to pull things apart again. The only other thing I can think to add is that these are going to be part of a gift to my dad who probably hasn't heard them in action since the 70's.

I'm Andre.

Im glad you are concerned about changing the sound because if not this would bring me back to people buying old gear for the looks & engineering in the hope they can mod em & make them sound like something modern.. A straight like for like recap, if the internal wires are shot like for like copper wire no silver junk.. If the sound is not up to liking different speakers i say.. One giant giant mistake people make is changing inductors, absolutely no imho..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast