+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: MKI Celestion Ditton 44 - Rebuild & refurb

I'm Andre.

I think Falcon selle em, as mentioned in an earlier post the cans are a different style now..

I'm Geoff.

If you look on ebay, you'll find Cricklewood Electronics selling Alcaps at sensible prices. You can always contact them directly for a package.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andre.

I'm Andre.

Just had a look at a Mk.1 crossover those 72uF caps would cost way too much in polyprops, I doubt you would get that value or near to but i bet your talking £30 each in Ansar if so

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Just had a look at a Mk.1 crossover those 72uF caps would cost way too much in polyprops, I doubt you would get that value or near to but i bet your talking £30 each in Ansar if so
    It costs what it costs to do the job properly I saved a nice lump when I purchased these and I don't have to consider buying new mids so it's all good.
    Last edited by HD Goofnut; 13-01-2020 at 23:54.

I'm Ben.

I found this whilst searching today.

I'm Ben.

I am out of my depth with knowing what caps and brands are best and what will be sympathetic to the speakers. It's just too far beyond my knowledge base. Searching the net just seems to be confusing matters more. Lots of advice and lots of options out there but no common denominator between them.

• Would the above list be considered as modding the XO too much?
    • Could the caps be considered wrong in that they will change the sound too much?
    • If using those caps would I be paying for a name when a cheaper no frills brand will do exactly the same job and produce the exact same sound?

I'm Andre.

For some reason Hi-Fi dudes feel they need to go overboard with mods & boutique caps, many not knowing anything about the technicalities or at least think its ok to ignore.. If the original cap is a Bi-Polar Electrolytic then that is what it should be changed with imho.. I can promise you out of experience those El-Caps are good enough.

However that is just my view.

I'm Geoff.

And I agree.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ben.

So the photo and list I found and posted above would be akin to swapping out the speakers for different ones?

I'm in full agreement replacing like with like, just being a newbie and seeing all the different modded crossovers it's hard to know what has been done sympathetically and what has been nothing more than a gratuitous and unnecessary spurge of money.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast