+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MKI Celestion Ditton 44 - Rebuild & refurb

I'm Ben.

Default MKI Celestion Ditton 44 - Rebuild & refurb

I have picked up a pair of these today with the intension of a complete strip down down and rebuild. Useful (shame about the dead images) forum threads that I have found so far are below;

Are there any others that I could use for reference that I have missed?

Now onto the scary stuff. Part availability and pricing.

Crossovers. I'm not looking to go mad but a refresh of the components seems a good idea and if I can make things a little nicer sounding whilst there it seems silly not to. Gold binding posts and Van Damme UP-LCOFC Hi-Fi speaker cable will be used too.

I believe tweeter upgrades are a good investment too and that a slight modification is need. These - https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/se...ge-series.html

Mids. Can they be successfully re-foamed or at worst replacements be bought new?

Subwoofers. Can these be successfully re-foamed or at worst replacements be bought new?

Any links showing where I can buy parts needed would be hugely appreciated.

Lastly would be the cabinets themselves. I think finishing them in a 240 grit then oiling with a decent product should suffice. I believe the longer some old feeds are left the harder they get. Almost like a lacquer. That said, I am tempted to try a shellac treatment.

Photos to follow shortly.

I'm Geoff.

Did you check the speakers over carefully before buying them and have a good listen to them?

I would concentrate on getting the basics right before getting adventurous with modifications.

Are both black perforated domed grilles present that cover the clear tweeter domes? They are replaceable if need be. The HF2000 tweeters are the best feature of these speakers.

The Falcon tweeter mod is not an upgrade, it is a non standard replacement for desperate owners who've blown the beautiful HF2000 originals.

The mids and bass drivers do not use "foams". The cone surrounds are rubber and should be sound unless the speakers have been abused. Fitting anything else is likely to be a disaster.

I've owned a couple of good pairs of these in the past and although they sound OK'ish, I'd not describe them as wonderful. The treble is very nice, but the mid is undistinguished and the bass a bit leaden.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ben.

In all honesty they have been bought to refurbished. They were a tiny fraction of the cost I have seen them advertised for so i'm already at a huge financial advantage if I have to dig deep for any replacements. The important thing is that they are original, one owner and untouched. Everything appears to be in good condition, they are just showing their age and need some TLC.

I think both tweeters are covered. Being a newbie shows my lack of knowledge.That just saved me some unnecessary spending. Sorry, I meant replacing the rubbers and also re-coning. The gloss finish on the cones is thinning in areas and the mids have some funny yellowish liquid around the outside on the metal frame.

I'm interested to see what they can do and it gives me a nice little project to work on over the coming months.

I'm Geoff.

The yellow around the mid frames is just oxidised adhesive and of no consequence. You can probably peel or scrape it off with a small screwdriver if it bothers you, but be very careful not to dislodge or damage the cone surrounds.

The paper cones are doped with a Plasticote type material. I'd leave it alone be to be honest. If you try to replace it or add to it, you may alter the cone mass and affect the speaker response (although probably not radically).

You can probably beneficially replace the crossover capacitors using modern equivalents. Alcaps should be fine. You can use higher voltage items, but not lower.

Repolish the cabinets and fit new terminals if need be, but I'd not do much else.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Speak to DarrenHW on this thread, he's very well versed in working with the 44's.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Ben.

Just clean and feed the rubbers then? Microfibre cloth, slightly damp with warm water to clean and one to dry?

Crossovers will definitely get a refresh, no question. I'll go with new binding posts so I can use banana plugs. I guess the Van Damme UP-LCOFC Hi-Fi speaker cable will be fine to use.

Is the black panel a specific type of paint? Should it have been veneered or was it just the MK2 that was? I have bought some Murphy's oil soap for the wood.

Is there a one stop shop for caps or do I need to buy from several sources? Can I stay away from electrolytic capacitors?

I'm Graham.

Hi ben,
    Nice choice for peanuts. Yes mk1 fronts were black

But once covered with new grille cloths you wont notice. ��

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Speak to DarrenHW on this thread, he's very well versed in working with the 44's.
    Thank you. I'll shoot him a pm.

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    Hi ben,
    Nice choice for peanuts. Yes mk1 fronts were black

But once covered with new grille cloths you wont notice. ��
    They look better than the AR3a I'm still considering just not a nice as the Spendor BC1.

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    he HF2000 tweeters are the best feature of these speakers.

The Falcon tweeter mod is not an upgrade, it is a non standard replacement for desperate owners who've blown the beautiful HF2000 originals.
    I'm afraid I don't agree; many of the HF2000s are damaged or out of spec now, and replacing them with something modern is perfectly acceptable and can definitely be an improvement. Having said that, I wouldn't rush to change them if yours appear to be OK.

There used to be some mega-threads on diy audio about Ditton 44s and crossovers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast