+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD drive playing up on my Liv Zen

I'm Lawrence.

Default CD drive playing up on my Liv Zen

It suddenly started not reading discs in the middle of a ripping session.

Q1 I've looked it up and, being a Vortexbox/LMS based system the first port of call is to try clearing the cache before replacing the drive. Unfortunately, the password does not seem to be the default one so I'm struggling to get into the system to do this. I think I've found some instructions on resetting the password bit I need a keyboard and monitor to do this so I'm looking into that. I also emailed Nuno at Innuos in case he can help. In the meanwhile, if anyone has any advice on what to do I'll be most grateful.

Q2 if it is the drive, does anyone know where to get a new (or guaranteed refurb) slot loading internal DVD rewrite drive? I looked online and found one but the socket at the back looks different. I should have taken a photo while I was inside, but I didn't think. If anyone knows the different types of sockets that drives can have I will recognise it if I see it. (It was to one side of the rear and was about a third of the width, it had two plugs joined together, one was a bit wider than the other, if that helps??)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm Martin.

Lawrence before trying anything at the Vortexbox command line you need to back up all your music folder onto usb disk.

You don’t really need a keyboard and a monitor. You can access the command line from a PC in the same network using a terminal program, I use putty. You can download putty for free. Log in to the Vortexbox as root, the default password should be vortexbox.

The dvd drive in the zen is likely to be a SATA (serial ATA) drive. It’s probably a Teac.

I found this online.

https://www.tekshop247.com/product_i...8aAphNEALw_wcB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by disarmamant View Post
    Lawrence before trying anything at the Vortexbox command line you need to back up all your music folder onto usb disk.

You don’t really need a keyboard and a monitor. You can access the command line from a PC in the same network using a terminal program, I use putty. You can download putty for free. Log in to the Vortexbox as root, the default password should be vortexbox.

The dvd drive in the zen is likely to be a SATA (serial ATA) drive. It’s probably a Teac.

I found this online.

https://www.tekshop247.com/product_i...8aAphNEALw_wcB

Thanks that's exactly what I tried, Putty and root/vortexbox. The password was rejected so I suspect that it was changed by Liv/Innuos. It seems I need a monitor and keyboard to interrupt the start up and go into a command mode where I can change the password.

Regarding the back up that's great advice and you've just made me realise I've spent ages in the past trying to copy my rips across the network when I could probably just plug a USB HDD into the Zen, doh

Lastly thanks for the link that looks like what I need. I've just gone and bought this one on eBay (not paid yet) and I suspect it might be a PATA not a SATA (didn't know the former existed) doh again Any ideas?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F142660394700

I'm Grant.

admin is often used as a password and often username too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Regarding the back up that's great advice and you've just made me realise I've spent ages in the past trying to copy my rips across the network when I could probably just plug a USB HDD into the Zen, doh
    I like the Vortexbox backup/restore utility. The Vortexbox will automatically mount the USB HDD when its plugged in. It will make a full backup and then subsequent incremental backups. If you have a hard disk failure restoring all your data is easy. I have used the backup on a number of occasions to restore everything after I have upgraded my Vortexbox server hardware.

The only drawback is you have to let the Vortexbox format the USB HDD in a Linux format before you can use it, so its pretty much dedicated.

Hope the new drive will sort it for you.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by disarmamant View Post
    I like the Vortexbox backup/restore utility. The Vortexbox will automatically mount the USB HDD when its plugged in. It will make a full backup and then subsequent incremental backups. If you have a hard disk failure restoring all your data is easy. I have used the backup on a number of occasions to restore everything after I have upgraded my Vortexbox server hardware.

The only drawback is you have to let the Vortexbox format the USB HDD in a Linux format before you can use it, so its pretty much dedicated.

Hope the new drive will sort it for you.
    I'm worried now, I don't want the HDD to mirror the Zen, I want to add the recently ripped files from the Zen to the substantial number of albums I've already got on the HDD. If the Zen formats the HDD it would be a disaster, a year's worth of rips gone!!

I'm Chris.

As others are saying, back up your Flac files to a portable HDD - Download and use a Linux operating system like Linux Mint to see and use what is probably ext4 journal system used by Vortexbox
    https://www.linuxmint.com/ I do not have experience with the Liv Zen, but have experience with yamaha CDRHD1500's, that similarly use a CDRW drive to address a hard Disc. Any errors in HDD
    for example with the Yamaha , cause the CDRW drive to partially attempt writing, and generally be a pain.

If possible see if you can replace the HDD with a solid state drive type HDD rather than the earlier types, as these are very reliable.

I'm Lawrence.

It's starting to get complicated now, this was supposed to be a simple fast ripping solution!! I've found the same drive as the potentially faulty one on eBay for not much moolah and will try that first.

I'm Mike.

I would have thought simply replacing the DVD drive will fix your problem.

Open up the box and you'll soon see which one will fit, as mentioned earlier no doubt be a Teac drive.

Take a few minutes to replace.

I'm Martin.

Default CD drive playing up on my Liv Zen

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I'm worried now, I don't want the HDD to mirror the Zen, I want to add the recently ripped files from the Zen to the substantial number of albums I've already got on the HDD. If the Zen formats the HDD it would be a disaster, a year's worth of rips gone!!
    If it worries you then the only solution is to buy a new USB Portable HDD and use it as dedicated Vortexbox backup drive. This is what I have done. I regularly plug the portable HDD in to the Vortexbox and make an incremental backup. I also keep the backup drive off site in my office for obvious reasons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast