+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer PD-91 Vintage CDP

I'm Chris.

Really useful articles. Had fancied these, but.....may stick to my modded PS 1,(though THAT has packed up, needs fixing).
    Other choice is probably OPPO?
    I guess tech can fail!
    Chris.

I'm Robin.

I have one of these too - as you say, awesome little players - but mine suffered laser failure too and is currently at the tech trying to source a laser....fingers crossed!

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by robinb View Post
    I have one of these too - as you say, awesome little players - but mine suffered laser failure too and is currently at the tech trying to source a laser....fingers crossed!
    I feel you're pain Robin. Such a shame with these and a common theme, the lasers tend to go like clock work which hurts big time as the lasers are almost impossible to get hold of now.

My learning is that lasers generally have a life expectancy of about 15/20 years or so - generally. The 91 is pushing 30 years now.

Buying these and most vintage CDPs is a risk then to be honest, but what a beautiful and fab sounding CDP, I was thrilled at the sound, when I got to playing mine.

I defo want a laser or indeed another fully working 91......
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Robin.

Hey Robbie

If/when the tech sources one I'll lyk!

I'm Paul.

Hey Robbie

Robin, I would also be interested in the outcome, as I might want a spare one if mine packs up.
    HI-FI SYSTEM:-
    Revox B250 Amp.
    Revox PR 99 mk2 R2R.
    Revox B126 C/D Player.
    Yamaha GT2000 T/Table with Shure MKIV Cartridge and Jeco VN-45HE SAS/R Stylus.
    Bang & Olufsen Beolab18's and the 19 Sub Speakers.

A/V 5.1 System :-
    Soundsend Wisa box.
    Harmen Kardon front and rear satellite.
    Legend 10.2 Silverback Active Centre.

I'm Robert.

Hey Robbie

Thanks and please Robin, that would be great, especially if another/more can be sourced - one can only hope
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Robin.

Hi all

As feared these are now unobtanium. Anyone considering buying one of these should know that the lasers fail after 20 years and are now impossible to find.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    I feel you're pain Robin. Such a shame with these and a common theme, the lasers tend to go like clock work which hurts big time as the lasers are almost impossible to get hold of now.

My learning is that lasers generally have a life expectancy of about 15/20 years or so - generally. The 91 is pushing 30 years now.

Buying these and most vintage CDPs is a risk then to be honest, but what a beautiful and fab sounding CDP, I was thrilled at the sound, when I got to playing mine.

I defo want a laser or indeed another fully working 91......
    https://www.eeshops.net/laser-lens-d...s-p-73672.html

or NOS not cheap though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/original-...gAAOSwZ2FfT-4D
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Robin.

...which anyone considering buying one should take into account...

I'm Gary.

Personally speaking, given the (non)availability of parts if something goes wrong with vintage CD players, I wouldn't want the potential worry.

Getting back into CDs for some weird reason, and took a punt on one of these.
    New Audiolab CD Transport.

After reading a lot of very positive reviews took a punt.
    Sounds way better than it has a right to at the price
    Had it a few days, already sounding better than my modded 203 over i2s on Redbook CD.
    Hooked up with a Wireworld Starlight 8 digital coax.

If it keeps improving the way it is I might invest in a more 'serious' digital cable.
    Genuinely a bit taken aback by how this thing sounds, and not just for the price.
    Say again, it beats my Oppo for enjoying CDs.

Wouldn't look at an old CD Player as a transport when this is around.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast