+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer PD-91 Vintage CDP

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Not disputing what you're saying but why is it some people reckon the best DACs take the signal straight off the chip legs (usually NOS DACs I've noticed)? I guess it's similar to the passive/active pre debate.
    For CD playback the best sound will come from the CDP DAC chip to its own audio circuit if that circuit is designed for a quality sound. Unfortunately that isn't the case for most CD players. Many use an opamp for convenience and cost.
    The great CD players have a discrete output stage fed from a balanced supply line.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Never heard one but a looker and on that, as a starting point I'd have considered looking deeper into one if I wasnt settled and happy with the 91.

Stereophile found the sound... a bit meh lets say.... https://www.stereophile.com/content/...d-94-cd-player
    Mk2 not the first version, different animal, much better.
    Regards Neil

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    Mk2 not the first version, different animal, much better.
    Sorry about that Neil.

The MKll looks all round an excellent cdp would have loved to have tried one
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Lawrence.

Sorry about that Neil.

Having owned them twice in the past I can confirm they are VERY good CD players. I try and avoid the term "analogue" sounding but in this case it feels valid. Or maybe "organic" whatever that means. I probably really mean natural. I've probably come closest to forgetting (or not caring) I'm listening to CD with them.

I'm Neil.

Sorry about that Neil.

No problem. Mk1 has a badge on the loading drawer mk2 doesn't. The shame is that Marantz didnt take the design as far as it could. Its a dual differential design, so they could have fitted balanced outputs, but didn't. Anyway I still own mine, lovely player.
    Regards Neil

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Having owned them twice in the past I can confirm they are VERY good CD players. I try and avoid the term "analogue" sounding but in this case it feels valid. Or maybe "organic" whatever that means. I probably really mean natural. I've probably come closest to forgetting (or not caring) I'm listening to CD with them.
    This is how I've been feeling listening to the PD-91, so the Marantz 94 MKII sounds right up my street as well. It's also a looker and wood sides which again are my thing.
    My System:
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Al View Post
    Oakey dokes Al

My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

I'm Robert.

Must say I'm really impressed with the presentation from this cdp the more time I spend with it.

Best compliment is you forget you're listening to cd.....

Presents the music with depth, layers, in a natural, balanced, detailed and non fatiguing way, draws you in.....

Was reading about the PD93 and read it has a display off facility for further reduction of noise.

Didn't realise the 91 has it too so that got pressed this evening and will definitely now stay permanently in the off position

Have to say the 91 has been one heck of an antidote, I just didn't expect, until the Yannis tonearm cable is ready, when vinyl replay will recommence and when at long last I'll get to hear the SP-10, in my system for the first time and know/hear what it brings to the party

Until then I'm very happy to say, the PD-91 has been pleasing this fussy ole bugger, big time, been a bit of a revelation actually, in terms of what cd replay can be - you never stop learning
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

I'm Robert.

Hi Ying, In reply to your post on the SP10 thread, about the PD-91.

The PD-91 is a fabulous and beautiful thing to behold and most importantly, sonically.

I was genuinely very impressed, once I got round to giving mine some hours. It had sat on my rack for a good few years prior, due to my obsession with vinyl replay.

Once I did give it a look in - wow !! I could see what the reputation was about in every way, looks, build, beauty and sound - It ticked all boxes, big time IMO.

BUT, the joy lasted two or so weeks, after-which it went from sounding fab, organic/analogue and additive to sounding wrong.

I carefully cleaned the lens with Isopropyl alcohol cleaner and Deoxit cleaned all output contacts etc - no change.

From what I know, it looks like it is likely the laser that's packed up on mine - not good ! read on.....

So, what I've learned and read, is that these vintage beauties are not perfect in terms of long lasting reliability so you're taking a chance.

There are a few well documented inherent issues with these. One is that the glue used to keep the lens in place was not ideal/good and had a tendency to become brittle, causing the lens to become dislodged, an abundance of this reported, that you can find online,

As equally documented and reported is the lens is also prone to not reading cdrs etc and sometimes just not reading cds in general - as i say lots online from users about that too.

Mine arrived by courier in fab condition BUT no matter how I tried at the time, it would not play a cd.

I let the seller know, himself a big big collector and seller of vintage high-end Japanese gear. Myself and a friend spent a nice day with him as he re-seated and secured the lens back in place.

Once I got it home, I played literally the odd track but never really used it for years.

My learning is that as lovely as these are they are known for having a few inherent issues, which has to be taken into consideration when you are looking to fork out your money, that said when they are on song they are special.

Lasers in CDPs have a shelf life and from what I know it is generally speaking 15, maybe 20 years or so - The PD-91 was produced between 1987-1990, that's 30plus years now....

A spare laser for the PD-91 is now nigh on impossible to find. Spares of the laser part no. PWY1004, that were available have long dried up https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32350092034.html

I will try to source another PD-91 at some point, BUT I will not pay the daft prices people are asking for these, at the moment, living off its rep and taking advantage with silly /daft asking prices.

One 220v model, here in the UK (You'd ideally want the 230/240v version as i have for Europe/UK), started on eBay at £895 and that's without the remote. It's been on there for ages! hardly surprising.

Guess what? and what isd surprising is that the seller has now increased asking priced to £969 Buy It Now - only pushing prices up, as others who have one, look and think hey! that's whats being asked ?! , i'll pitch mine around that price too...

If you look on Hi-fi Shark https://www.hifishark.com/model/pioneer-pd-91 you'll see all operational ones are between £800 - £1000, way too much in my book, (It retailed at around £1K when new) for something that can fail at anytime, ie: past its sell by date so to speak, potentially a large pretty door stop, which is what I now have.

Yes they are beautiful, rare, a bit special and yes, I do want another, one day, BUT I will never pay the silly money being asked, particularity with age and reliability question marks for the vintage and as expressed above.

My advice then, is wait and try to pounce on one that looks well kept and priced sensible. I'd also advise against having one shipped, not worth the hassle.

Even if it arrived in tact, the odds of the lens having fallen off during dispatch are great, it's a know issue with these you'll find.

Be patient and search for a nice one, realistically priced, locally
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 16-04-2020 at 23:08.
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

I'm Josie.

I've had two PD-91 machines. Sound wise they are amazing. Not as good as my streaming system but nevertheless they are really nice.

There were some problems I encountered with the PD-91.

Firstly, the laser lens are not glued in very well so moving them or transporting them can be a little tricky.

Then the problem with the disc drawer... It can sometimes have a mind of its own. It can also eject itself after loading. I found that this was due to a cog jumping a couple of teeth so that needed adjusting.

The lasers themselves are very rare to find now and very expensive. There are plenty of fakes out there too!

FAB cdp though.

Would I have another one? Yes... But only if I had an (original) replacement laser to hand.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast