+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pioneer PD-91 Vintage CDP

I'm Gary.

Personally speaking, given the (non)availability of parts if something goes wrong with vintage CD players, I wouldn't want the potential worry.

Getting back into CDs for some weird reason, and took a punt on one of these.
    New Audiolab CD Transport.

After reading a lot of very positive reviews took a punt.
    Sounds way better than it has a right to at the price
    Had it a few days, already sounding better than my modded 203 over i2s on Redbook CD.
    Hooked up with a Wireworld Starlight 8 digital coax.

If it keeps improving the way it is I might invest in a more 'serious' digital cable.
    Genuinely a bit taken aback by how this thing sounds, and not just for the price.
    Say again, it beats my Oppo for enjoying CDs.

Wouldn't look at an old CD Player as a transport when there's quality modern stuff around.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

I think its worth noting that -

Lasers don't tend to fail, but they will gradually lose power with use, eventually passing a point where they start struggling to read. That's use not time so a 20 year-old CD player that has been unused or rarely used since new will still have a 'fresh' laser.

Lasers can also go out of alignment. If the player is dropping out for a split second then resuming playback it's more likely misaligned than dying, You need service manual and oscilloscope to fix it though.

The fault can be something other than the laser. For example failure to recognise it has a disc loaded can be a failed component or connector, not necessarily a laser issue.

A dying laser will not give worse sound quality. Either it will read or it will fail to an extent that the error correction cannot fix it and then you get an audible glitch. It's not like a stylus wearing out where it starts sounding a bit rough.

I think that by the law of averages there will still be PD91s out there that have only a couple of hundred hours use and their lasers should be good for a few thousand more hours at the very least. Not everyone who owns high end kit uses it a lot. The problem is being sure of that. I've always fancied one since they came out but I wouldn't pay more than £300 for any vintage CD player. Just not worth it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think its worth noting that -

Lasers don't tend to fail, but they will gradually lose power with use, eventually passing a point where they start struggling to read. That's use not time so a 20 year-old CD player that has been unused or rarely used since new will still have a 'fresh' laser.

Lasers can also go out of alignment. If the player is dropping out for a split second then resuming playback it's more likely misaligned than dying, You need service manual and oscilloscope to fix it though.

The fault can be something other than the laser. For example failure to recognise it has a disc loaded can be a failed component or connector, not necessarily a laser issue.

A dying laser will not give worse sound quality. Either it will read or it will fail to an extent that the error correction cannot fix it and then you get an audible glitch. It's not like a stylus wearing out where it starts sounding a bit rough.

I think that by the law of averages there will still be PD91s out there that have only a couple of hundred hours use and their lasers should be good for a few thousand more hours at the very least. Not everyone who owns high end kit uses it a lot. The problem is being sure of that. I've always fancied one since they came out but I wouldn't pay more than £300 for any vintage CD player. Just not worth it.
    That's interesting Martin. Mine just suddenly and without warning went from sounding fab to cr&p so I assumed it was the laser.

It may have been something with the analogue output, I wouldn't be surprised.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Genuinely a bit taken aback by how this thing sounds, and not just for the price.
    Say again, it beats my Oppo for enjoying CDs.

Wouldn't look at an old CD Player as a transport when this is around.
    Yes - having just bought a 6000CDT I'd wholeheartedly agree
    Rob.