+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Vinyl

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Charge a couple quid more ffks & do a real job. However the D.S.O.T.M, W.Y.W.H , Animals & The Wall sleeves & labels are good but again the sound is very CD to my ears, they even had the very same glitches i can hear on the CD versions .. & because of that it has to be original Analogue pressings from now..
    By coincidence I was listening to DSOTHM today, I put on my 1st press 5th run, so from the year of release. I also have a re-release version, to be honest I cannot differentiate between them. I will have another listen tomorrow and do some back to back comparisons.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Pavel.

To be fair, I have some 80s pressings which were recorded digitally in the first place. Some sound like crap, but some (e.g. Passion, Grace & Fire by McLaughlin, Di Meola and Paco de Lucía) are very good indeed.

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    By coincidence I was listening to DSOTHM today, I put on my 1st press 5th run, so from the year of release. I also have a re-release version, to be honest I cannot differentiate between them. I will have another listen tomorrow and do some back to back comparisons.
    Ok but i can hear the difference straight away..

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    To be fair, I have some 80s pressings which were recorded digitally in the first place. Some sound like crap, but some (e.g. Passion, Grace & Fire by McLaughlin, Di Meola and Paco de Lucía) are very good indeed.
    Early Digital multitrack machines were used in the begining of the 80's but the giant costs were mind blowing only accessable to the very few major artists. Mitsubishi 'X800' & Sony 'PCM 3324' were the early machines .. But still using Analogue tape.

Sony PCM processors with U-Matic machines were also how Analogue was transfered to CD.. So you see Early digital recordings were not 100% Digital as CDs were not 100% Digital in nature. The first commercial cheap studio multitrack machines were Alesis ADAT' 8 Trackers in the early 90's which could be Connected together in multiples to give more tracks but still used S-VHS tapes, DAT Machines were also tape. i think the first True multitrack digital recording was not until the mid 90's Otari 'RADAR' system which used multiple Hard Drives for storage..

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly
    View Post
    Ok but i can hear the difference straight away..
    So I had a listen and to be completely honest I find their is only a slight difference, between the 2 vinyl copies I have, 1st press 5th run and 2016 5099902987613 180gm re-release. I also have it on CD neither Vinyls sound like the CD.

The later version has been re-mastered and in my opinion it sounds slightly warmer than the original release, but this is very subjective IMHO, and it certainly does not sound inferior in any way.

Can you give me and example of an Album where you have experienced a noticeable difference.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Andre.

I think ive not come across correctly, I on about the latest Floyd Vinyls & their accompanying CD releases. The Vinyl & CD sound the same to me, Vinyl have that tad of hard edge the same yet the 1st issue sounds more mellow how a record should.. Im also a headphone listener a tad more insight to boot

I'm Andrew.

OK lets cut the shit. If your going to be a vinyl purist you should only seek AAA recordings, otherwise stop whinging.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm John.

Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    OK lets cut the shit. If your going to be a vinyl purist you should only seek AAA recordings, otherwise stop whinging.
    You clearly bypassed half what im on about on this weeks posts.. Please keep up

I'm Mike.

Recorded music in all varieties be it LP, CD etc. is a minefield, some stuff recorded in the 70's sounds great some sounds crap and the same can be said for more modern stuff from the 80's, 90's and brand new re release or new music, pretty much everything i have by Joe Bonamassa on vinyl sounds heavily compressed all U2's music with the exception of live under a blood red sky sounds thin and overly bright.

i'd say the best ever sounding vinyl recordings were done at the end of the 70's and early 80's, i think this has more to do with the engineers understanding of the format and how to mix the music in a way to get the best sound from that format, i think nowadays that "art" has been lost. Personally speaking if i can get a good original pressing i would buy that before entertaining a new 180g re issue, having said that i recently bought a new re release of Elton John "Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy" and was pleased to find it is as good as my original release, less the snap crackle and pop, more surprising still was that the LP's had the same centre stickers and it even came with the booklet and poster.

At the end of the day crap engineering = a crap finished product that's the same back then as it is now, this isn't helped by many re releases being pressed from a CD master, i'd agree with what other have said that a lot of the new LP's being made aren't aimed at the vinyl audiophile but at the nostalgia seekers looking to remind themselves of yesteryear.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast