+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Somrthing has got me !

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Good stuff, daftee. Shows you then you were right to ask for the antibiotics!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    That's the ticket, you'll be back to your regular insomnia before you know it
    Lets him just sleep on that !

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by tapid View Post
    Lets him just sleep on that !
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Good stuff, daftee. Shows you then you were right to ask for the antibiotics!

Marco.
    Not so. The father of British Epidemiology - Archie Cochrane - was a young doctor in a Japanese POW camp. He observed that many conditions were self limiting and that "patients" typically recovered from infections without any medical treatment or drugs. He spent his life challenging the effectiveness, appropriateness, and safety of many established treatments and to advocate for the scientific testing of medical interventions. If the OP had a viral infection, it is likely that he would have started to recover after a week or so and antibiotics would have had no effect. His book "Efficiency and Effectiveness .." recounts his wartime experience and his advocacy for randomised control trials. https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journ...92)93154-F.pdf

Overuse of antibiotics and antibiotic resistance is an existential threat to humanity. Unless new antibiotics are developed we will be back to the situation where one could die from a minor infection from a wound.

I'm Steve.

Overuse of antibiotics and what it will eventually mean for humankind is well documented, but Allen was getting worse - how bad does it have to get before you intervene? That kind of brinkmanship does not sit well with me, and besides we need Al for his inventive and amusing threads

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Steve.

And his eye was about to fall out. What would Audio Al be with a missing eye? Audo Al that's what. That would work better spoken than written

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Not so. The father of British Epidemiology - Archie Cochrane - was a young doctor in a Japanese POW camp. He observed that many conditions were self limiting and that "patients" typically recovered from infections without any medical treatment or drugs. He spent his life challenging the effectiveness, appropriateness, and safety of many established treatments and to advocate for the scientific testing of medical interventions. If the OP had a viral infection, it is likely that he would have started to recover after a week or so and antibiotics would have had no effect. His book "Efficiency and Effectiveness .." recounts his wartime experience and his advocacy for randomised control trials. https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journ...92)93154-F.pdf

Overuse of antibiotics and antibiotic resistance is an existential threat to humanity. Unless new antibiotics are developed we will be back to the situation where one could die from a minor infection from a wound.
    I completely agree, Geoff. I'm all for 'self-healing' and/or natural/herbal remedies, rather than pumping yourself with drugs, *but* as Piggurs says Al was getting worse, and in this case antibiotics did the job. Therefore, for me, it's good to keep all your options open

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I completely agree, Geoff. I'm all for 'self-healing' and/or natural/herbal remedies, rather than pumping yourself with drugs, *but* as Piggurs says Al was getting worse, and in this case antibiotics did the job. Therefore, for me, it's good to keep all your options open

Marco.
    Antibiotics may have done the job but it is equally likely that the condition was self limiting and the timing of the recovery was coincidental. The public do not seem to have grasped the danger of antibiotic drug resistance which is responsible for 700,000 deaths annually worldwide with this figure projected to grow exponentially in coming decades. Doctors have even stopped prescribing antibiotics for many bacterial infections because of the dangers of drug resistance.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/antibi...al-resistance/

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Antibiotics may have done the job but it is equally likely that the condition was self limiting and the timing of the recovery was coincidental. The public do not seem to have grasped the danger of antibiotic drug resistance which is responsible for 700,000 deaths annually worldwide with this figure projected to grow exponentially in coming decades. Doctors have even stopped prescribing antibiotics for many bacterial infections because of the dangers of drug resistance.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/antibi...al-resistance/

I don’t believe in statistics without validation or source (or even then, I would like to see the compilation data) so if 700,000 deaths have been attributed to drug resistance what is the source? How many peoples lives have been saved by antibiotics annually?

Statistics can be manipulated, by their very nature they depend on how they are collected and how the questions are phrased or loaded.

Being a cynic there is a cost to providing antibiotics, good saving if not provided.

There are many theories based on “facts” that become popular only to be disproved later.

There are people who need daily antibiotics because they have compromised immune systems, so a broad brush approach to antibiotics can only be guidance and not considered absolute.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Geoff.

Strange that you don't hear any mention of Bacteriophage and Virophage research these days.

They were once anticipated to be of huge ultimate benefit in tackling infectious deseases. Maybe there is work being done in this area, but I'm not aware of it. I know the Russians were very involved years ago.

Effective phages could certainly compliment antibiotic treatment and possibly supersede it in some aspects.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast