Continued from my previous post......

I’ll give you some examples:-

My current Cancer Clinic building was purpose built probably 5 years or so ago. It’s work flow totally bemuses me. Files are kept 2oo metres from Reception. When you enter Reception someone has to go and retrieve your file for distribution to phlebotomy or treatment, probably returning the same 200 metres. The file has to be returned the same distance to Consultant, then back to file store. That’s about 4 different people handling the same file over distance. If the files were stored at the back of Reception ( still in a secure environment). The phlebotomists located next to Reception etc etc....

My cardiac department is kinda chaotic. When you see your Consultant and lets say ( as in my case Pacemaker) some treatment is required the Consultant will use a dictaphone to dictate a letter for his Secretary (think old fashioned) to type. This letter is distributed INTERNALLY to various functionaries. This goes to Coronary dept. that put you on a LIST for appointment. The updated list is sent to Booking for them to confirm and allocate dates and times. This confirmation may not be relayed back to Coronary Dept or to patient. It’s difficult to find out if your on a list as there’s no Governance on the process.

I’ll now refrain from further examples, but it’s true to say that the NHS is dated, mismanaged and out of control on spending. Throwing money at it is a total waste.

Staffing levels and allocation is farcical.

Gary