+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Somrthing has got me !

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I don’t believe in statistics without validation or source (or even then, I would like to see the compilation data) so if 700,000 deaths have been attributed to drug resistance what is the source? How many peoples lives have been saved by antibiotics annually?

Statistics can be manipulated, by their very nature they depend on how they are collected and how the questions are phrased or loaded.

Being a cynic there is a cost to providing antibiotics, good saving if not provided.

There are many theories based on “facts” that become popular only to be disproved later.

There are people who need daily antibiotics because they have compromised immune systems, so a broad brush approach to antibiotics can only be guidance and not considered absolute.

Gary
    Would you consider the World Health Organization and the National Institute for Clinical Excellence to be reliable sources?

https://www.nice.org.uk/Media/Defaul...resistance.pdf

https://www.who.int/news-room/detail...istance-crisis

They draw from this 2016 study https://amr-review.org/sites/default...th%20cover.pdf

Of course antibiotics are a major lifesaver worldwide. The point is that poor prescribing and compliance risk a major failure of antibiotic effectiveness so that current antibiotics may be all but useless in a matter of decades.
    Last edited by Sherwood; 16-01-2020 at 22:50.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Al View Post
    I fully understand how A B's work , They wipe out your imune system

I hardly EVER take any medication , Normall just get on with it in a big ruffty tuffty way , this is really getting me down
    now 7 days and things getting worse , no signs of any improvement

Time to take some action
    That is not how antibiotics work! They work either by killing the bacteria causing an infection or by stopping or impairing the growth of the bacteria. Some people may believe that antibiotics have impaired their immune systems but the fact is that if the antibiotic does not kill the bacteria it is targeting then the bacteria can become "immune" to that antibiotic.

I'm Anto.

Of course , Al could have visited the farm here where we could have injected him in the arse with some cow medicine
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Antibiotics may have done the job but it is equally likely that the condition was self limiting and the timing of the recovery was coincidental. The public do not seem to have grasped the danger of antibiotic drug resistance which is responsible for 700,000 deaths annually worldwide with this figure projected to grow exponentially in coming decades. Doctors have even stopped prescribing antibiotics for many bacterial infections because of the dangers of drug resistance.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/antibi...al-resistance/
    Glad to hear about Al's improvement, whether the improvement is due to antibiotics or self limiting maladies. However, sometimes the choices are a bit stark. The son of one of my friends was scratched by a cat. He ignored it for days, doing "obvious" things like keeping things clean and antiseptcis etc., but eventually things did start to go really quite bad. Finally he went for treatment, and was told that he was within 24 hours of potentially fatal sepsis. Fortunately he did recover. He did not, however, think that he should wait another 24 hours to see if the "theory" was correct.
    Dave

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Glad to hear about Al's improvement, whether the improvement is due to antibiotics or self limiting maladies. However, sometimes the choices are a bit stark. The son of one of my friends was scratched by a cat. He ignored it for days, doing "obvious" things like keeping things clean and antiseptcis etc., but eventually things did start to go really quite bad. Finally he went for treatment, and was told that he was within 24 hours of potentially fatal sepsis. Fortunately he did recover. He did not, however, think that he should wait another 24 hours to see if the "theory" was correct.
    That's a ridiculous example. Cat bites and scratches are bacterial stews and antibiotic treatment is standard and urgent if any infection develops. If your friend left it untreated for days that is their fault. The overuse of antibiotics means that in the future any minor bacterial infection may be life threatening to to antibiotic resistance. That was the reality in the days before penicillin. We may be returning to those days again.

I'm Steve.

How often will you have heard it said of antibiotics: "Well I started to feel better so I stopped taking them". In this way the surviving bacteria could become immune surely? If I'm right then we should be better educated in their use. And doctors need to be prepared to write about their correct use and the consequences of not completing the course onto a piece of paper and staple it to the patient's forehead if they look like they may be a bit stupid. Sterilised staples of course
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    That's a ridiculous example. Cat bites and scratches are bacterial stews and antibiotic treatment is standard and urgent if any infection develops. If your friend left it untreated for days that is their fault. The overuse of antibiotics means that in the future any minor bacterial infection may be life threatening to to antibiotic resistance. That was the reality in the days before penicillin. We may be returning to those days again.
    Given that 99% of people don't know what antibiotics actually are it is unlikely that they are cultivating their own. So the only way they can get them is if they are prescribed by a doctor or dentist.

Therefore if antibiotics are being over-used or wrongly prescribed that is 100% the fault of the doctors and dentists. There's no point lecturing us about it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Unless you can buy antibiotics in the toilets at a nightclub or something. Not been to a nightclub in many years so maybe that is a thing nowadays. 'Got any Tetracyclines mate? Yeah? How much?'
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Unless you can buy antibiotics in the toilets at a nightclub or something. Not been to a nightclub in many years so maybe that is a thing nowadays. 'Got any Tetracyclines mate? Yeah? How much?'
    Prefer Cefaclor nowadays.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Martin.

Junkie.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast