+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mint vinyl that plays with surface noise

I'm Grant.

Can be various factors to blame. Sometimes tho it's just noisy vinyl.
    Apart from that, static, dirt, cart type, cart alignment, groove damage, poor storage and scratching are the usual culprits.
    Grading should be stated as play grades if it's very high(unless basically never played)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Apart from that after buying records again off eBay after about 2 years I am dismayed at the gradings, I had to return almost half, waste of time. Strange thing is I got all these lovely nrmint ECM lps off one seller, then the next bunch he sends - Beatles and others are hideous.
    It's such a thrill going after ECM records - you can find a single one somewhere, but the postage will kill you. As soon as the seller has 10+ - the bidding gets crazy because of the shipping discount
    Recently I picked a really cheap Steps Ahead double album on eBay. It had a lot of surface noise despite looked clean and shiny. I've been listening to it for a couple of weeks and the noise is much less of a problem now.
    The worst thing - which I had with a batch of sealed classical boxsets is mould. I managed to "fix" that by scrubbing with Isopropyl alcohol. Probably stored in a very wet place and the humidity went through the cellophane?
    I have never had a record-cleaning machine, maybe that would reduce the stylus cleaning intervals (after every side at the moment).

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Actually, I suspect there are many RCM owners who get really pissed off that their carefully cleaned records still pop and crackle, but not many will admit it.

There again, I own many records over forty years old that have never been near a cleaning machine and seem to play as well as new, with no particular surface noise problem.

Cartridge choice can play a part. Some are more forgiving than others when it comes to surface noise emphasis.
    I have always found that an elliptical stylus is more forgiving when it comes to surface noise.
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm Gary.

You can get manual RCM's for less than £70, a must in my book, even new LP's I have found benefit from cleaning.

I had LP's that I had forgotten, they were in the loft and some had mould, cleaned up wonderfully.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by martinswimmer View Post
    It's such a thrill going after ECM records - you can find a single one somewhere, but the postage will kill you. As soon as the seller has 10+ - the bidding gets crazy because of the shipping discount
    Recently I picked a really cheap Steps Ahead double album on eBay. It had a lot of surface noise despite looked clean and shiny. I've been listening to it for a couple of weeks and the noise is much less of a problem now.
    The worst thing - which I had with a batch of sealed classical boxsets is mould. I managed to "fix" that by scrubbing with Isopropyl alcohol. Probably stored in a very wet place and the humidity went through the cellophane?
    I have never had a record-cleaning machine, maybe that would reduce the stylus cleaning intervals (after every side at the moment).
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    You can get manual RCM's for less than £70, a must in my book, even new LP's I have found benefit from cleaning.

I had LP's that I had forgotten, they were in the loft and some had mould, cleaned up wonderfully.

Gary

I quite agree. It's a must have for any decent collection and new purchases. IPA mix is cheap, safe and effective. No static (ever?), kind to stylus, no need for frequent stylus cleaning and clearer dynamics where the recording allows. Obviously new Nagaoka type or poly-paper inners are de rigeur.

I don't like the small platter on some cheaper RCMs, as it's difficult to scrub, and some (Moth?) are bloody noisy, I believe. However, an RCM will not ameliorate damage or lousy vinyl, found too often. Mould is fine, though.

I'm Andre.

Some people uses things like Methylated Spirits to clean records.

Buying 2nd hand record is an utter utter nightmare & a massive money gamble.. How people find it pleasarable is beyone me!

Not quite a bigger way of throwing you money away on new vinyl though.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post

Buying 2nd hand record is an utter utter nightmare & a massive money gamble.. How people find it pleasarable is beyone me!

Not quite a bigger way of throwing you money away on new vinyl though.

Not so; most of my 1250+ collection was used; many from charity shops. Most cleaned up nicely. The only exception is the classical stuff I bought donkey's years ago from shops, and they haven't fared well. Type of genre, many played a lot before RCM etc.

I've given up buying new, partly because I have everything I need and partly have been very disappointed by s.q. and/or vinyl cond. on re-mastered stuff. Exceptions have been the Leonard Cohen albums.

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post

Honestly, for me buying new records is a massive gamble. I spend 20 pounds and pray. Most of the recent new purchases haven't been perfect. Most of my random ebay, charity shops purchases have been fantastic.
    I actually can't remember when I last purchased a second-hand record that I'm not happy to keep. I admit that I have to clean the stylus after every side. Would love to try a record washer, but how would I explain that to my wife? I already have 6 turntables...

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by martinswimmer View Post
    Honestly, for me buying new records is a massive gamble. I spend 20 pounds and pray. Most of the recent new purchases haven't been perfect. Most of my random ebay, charity shops purchases have been fantastic.
    I actually can't remember when I last purchased a second-hand record that I'm not happy to keep. I admit that I have to clean the stylus after every side. Would love to try a record washer, but how would I explain that to my wife? I already have 6 turntables...
    sell a tt and replace with cleaner.. she probably wont notice til you switch on
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    sell a tt and replace with cleaner.. she probably wont notice til you switch on
    lol - joke aside - it sounds like a good idea! Is it messy and loud?
    ooops - just forgot that I purchased that Lenco L70 that was recently advertised here and yet to be collected ....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast