+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mint vinyl that plays with surface noise

I'm Grant.

A moth for eg is noisy. It's a big hoover after all. It's not messy tho. I've never had a mess ever. I usually wear earphones or sound blocking buds when using if doing more than one.
    Had mine 10years or so and its never blinked and still looks new
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Why is it you buy some used vinyl and it looks practically mint, but plays with loads of surface noise? Really annoying, just got some original ECM stuff off ebay, and most of it is great but the odd one or two has significant surface noise and I cannot see why. These records were made around 1980.
    Hi Mike

ECM records are rarely poor unless they have been played with a damaged stylus, I suspect the ones you had were probably dirty. I went through lots of experimentation around 2 years ago as I was buying and being given quite a lot of 2nd hand records. Initially I used a Knosti Disco Stat cleaner, but found this to be a bit hit and miss getting records clean.

So I read up a lot created a thread on here and asked questions, the end result is I made my own simple record cleaner from an old turntable, with electrics and arm removed, I manually spin the records when cleaning. I purchased a wet/dry vac for £40 and modified the corner head tool to create a sucker that goes across the record and sucks the liquid off the surface, it has velvet fixed to it to protect the vinyl. I then went through several weeks of experimentation using various cleaning fluids and making some, and I also found a process to follow written up by a chap who had gone through a similar adventure. The end result is that I can get most records to a very clean and none pop/crackle state, so as long as they are not damaged they will be good. Also just because a record has some small scuff marks on the surface this does not necessarily mean that they will affect the replay in any way. If the surface is scratched then it may cause noise.

I have found it is quite surprising how robust a vinyl is, quite recently I purchased a record which had been subjected to a lot of water and the sleeve and inner sleeve were effectively stuck to it. So for my own interest I soaked it in distilled water/isopropyl alcohol for and hour and then proceeded to peel the sleeve of, after several attempts which involved rubbing the surface with my gloved finger I had it all off, it did take off the labels as well. So I put the record through my cleaning process but did it 3 times and then popped it on the turntable and it played fine, much to my own surprise.

If you want me to explain how to make you own machine and the process let me know. Cheers Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Not so; most of my 1250+ collection was used; many from charity shops. Most cleaned up nicely. The only exception is the classical stuff I bought donkey's years ago from shops, and they haven't fared well. Type of genre, many played a lot before RCM etc.

I've given up buying new, partly because I have everything I need and partly have been very disappointed by s.q. and/or vinyl cond. on re-mastered stuff. Exceptions have been the Leonard Cohen albums.
    How do you mean not so! Some people do use Meths & Meths destroys plastic. No matter how fantastic your record cleaner may be you will not get rid of that noise. I once went upto sheffield to buy a load of 1st edition albums at very good prices till i saw the Bottle of meths on the shelf with his record cleaning paraphernalia. That was that i went home empty handed.. The idiot could not understand what my problem was. Every single album that i have know was meths cleaned gave the very same sand paper crackles sound, but you never know this till you complain & ask.

As for new vinyl. How long they been making records now? Even so they have totally forgotten how to make one that is acceptable. Crap cover construction, In a lot of cases pathetic designed labels, Obviously no quality control in most cases & clicks & pops..

I'm Andre.

I just started back up with a very small select list of LP's but i totally do not know how to attack it. New vinyl is an utter No No. Second hand vinyl is a frigging nightmare. I need mint Records/Mint Covers/1st issues. Mail order is a too big a risk due to the amount false gradings. Going out to a record shop is the only way i see but we only have three near us, they all have turntables to listen but getting what i want is a bit tricky.. Way i see it i might complete the list in about 20 years lol..

I'm Deleted.

I buy a lot of new releases, almost entirely mail order, and rarely have an issue of any kind.

On the other hand, you can make a record ‘look’ like new by giving it a spray with Mr Sheen furniture polish and a quick wipe.

However, I have bought quite a lot of second hand vinyl and have rarely been disappointed.
    Account Deleted

I'm Andre.

Hi Mark
    Im not referring to Mail order with new records although that is a different story with private sellers of 2nd hand albums. Packing a record is an Art, a small Art but an art unless split through & dog eared corners is al ok.. Im not saying a lot use Meths but as you pointed out the quick wipe over to make them look new is a common thing, Meths, Surgical spirit, Furniture polish, Spray window cleaner you name it, the latter two can be cleaned off but the others cause damage..

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Hi Mike

ECM records are rarely poor unless they have been played with a damaged stylus, I suspect the ones you had were probably dirty. I went through lots of experimentation around 2 years ago as I was buying and being given quite a lot of 2nd hand records. Initially I used a Knosti Disco Stat cleaner, but found this to be a bit hit and miss getting records clean.

So I read up a lot created a thread on here and asked questions, the end result is I made my own simple record cleaner from an old turntable, with electrics and arm removed, I manually spin the records when cleaning. I purchased a wet/dry vac for £40 and modified the corner head tool to create a sucker that goes across the record and sucks the liquid off the surface, it has velvet fixed to it to protect the vinyl. I then went through several weeks of experimentation using various cleaning fluids and making some, and I also found a process to follow written up by a chap who had gone through a similar adventure. The end result is that I can get most records to a very clean and none pop/crackle state, so as long as they are not damaged they will be good. Also just because a record has some small scuff marks on the surface this does not necessarily mean that they will affect the replay in any way. If the surface is scratched then it may cause noise.

I have found it is quite surprising how robust a vinyl is, quite recently I purchased a record which had been subjected to a lot of water and the sleeve and inner sleeve were effectively stuck to it. So for my own interest I soaked it in distilled water/isopropyl alcohol for and hour and then proceeded to peel the sleeve of, after several attempts which involved rubbing the surface with my gloved finger I had it all off, it did take off the labels as well. So I put the record through my cleaning process but did it 3 times and then popped it on the turntable and it played fine, much to my own surprise.

If you want me to explain how to make you own machine and the process let me know. Cheers Adrian
    Thanks Adrian, think I'll just invest in a rcm, definitely sound worthed, seen as I buy 90% of my vinyl used.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Andre.

If you dont have many albums or dont buy many , plenty places have em & only charge about a squid per album tp clean..

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Thanks Adrian, think I'll just invest in a rcm, definitely sound worthed, seen as I buy 90% of my vinyl used.
    Hi Mike

Good idea, but from my experience and this article the only way to get it clean is with patience and following a process, whatever you RCM you have, my best friend has fount the same and he uses a proper RCM.

Have a good read of this Record Cleaning article

My process is

First put on thin rubber gloves

Ensure three cleaning brushes are clean, I use cut down emulsion paint pads, only a £1 each and will make 3 brushes, the hairs will not shed, are very small and will get in the groove. Mark each one on the back ISO, H2O, L'Art with indelible pen

Use rubber mat on cleaning TT, one side for a cleaned record side to be put on and the other for the for an uncleaned side to be put on. I clean the rubber off with Isopropyl article after cleaning about 15 records.

1. Put record on cleaning unit, spin and remove loose dust with and old carbon record brush.

2. Spray onto record 1st clean fluid, I use small glass mist spray bottles purchased on eBay, Cleaning fluid is 75% distilled water, 25% Isopropyl Alcohol and 2.5ml of ILFORD ILFOTOL (in 500ml total mix)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINYL-REC...oAAOSw8d5ZS-LT

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHL-BRAND-I...s%2C145&sr=8-9

Get Distilled water from you local garage, it may be called de-ionised water, if you want pure water you can get it but much more costly.

Mix in 250ml plastic bottles and store.

3. Spin record and apply ISO brush applying light pressure, spin for a least 10 revolutions.

4. Vacuum of cleaning fluid.

5. Apply L'Art Du Son mixture from spray bottle to record, use L'Art brush, spin 10 revolutions at least. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vinyl-Recor.../dp/B007B1BLBI

Only mix up small volume at a time and keep in brown glass bottle as it has enzyme cleaner in it and is light reactive and will go off.

6. Vacuum of L'Art Du Son mixture cleaning fluid.

7. Spray Distilled Water onto record, and spin record at least 10 times using H2O brush applying light pressure.

8. Vacuum off H2O

9. Turn over rubber mat on cleaning unit to clean side

10. Turn record over to side 2 and repeat steps 1-8

11. Having cleaned both sides place record in rack and leave to air dry for at least 5 minutes, this will ensure the ant small remnant of water evaporates.

12. Place record in a new poly lined sleeve.

You could add an H2O rinse between 4 and 5, but I have found this unnecessary.

If you find a record still has the odd crackle and pop but the surface looks unblemished re-clean 1-2 times, its probably badly soiled from cigarettes or handling with greasing fingers. If after that it still is noisy then its been damaged with a bad stylus or played many times.

Have fun.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    How do you mean not so! Some people do use Meths & Meths destroys plastic. No matter how fantastic your record cleaner may be you will not get rid of that noise. I once went upto sheffield to buy a load of 1st edition albums at very good prices till i saw the Bottle of meths on the shelf with his record cleaning paraphernalia. That was that i went home empty handed.. The idiot could not understand what my problem was. Every single album that i have know was meths cleaned gave the very same sand paper crackles sound, but you never know this till you complain & ask.

As for new vinyl. How long they been making records now? Even so they have totally forgotten how to make one that is acceptable. Crap cover construction, In a lot of cases pathetic designed labels, Obviously no quality control in most cases & clicks & pops..
    A case of misinterpretation here. I wasn't commenting on using meths as I've never encountered anybody using it. In fact, I can't understand any audio-savvy person contemplating meths when IPA is one of the more widely used cleaning fluids for records.

I was addressing your assertion that buying used records was a nightmare; the only nightmare nowadays is that it's nearly impossible to find anything but dross in what used to be reliable charity shops (now mostly re-fitted as gift shops, unfortunately).

DIY IPA mix of 4:1 or 5:1 (flexible) is likely to be the cheapest cleaning fluid, as proprietary ones (L'Art...) are much more expensive. This latter can develop growth over a few months if not suitably stored but IPA mix in the fridge lasts years, so can be made in bulk, saving money and time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast