+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can’t hear a difference between filter settings?

I'm Neds.

Default Can’t hear a difference between filter settings?

Sorry, raised this within an older post to no avail ! What am I listening for here? Is it so subtle that it passes some people by? I’m not criticising the seg/ dorado combo, which, at its best, sounds amazing. I’ve got my filter set on 4, I.e. three flashes, which seems to be the most popular

I'm Alastair.

It may be input/source dependent. I use one flash (USB input from RPI4 with reclocker) but used three flashes with SPDIF streaming FLAC from my NAS but one flash was better when streaming Radio Paradise FLAC. I have no idea why.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm Neds.

Thanks Alastair, but when you say “better”, in what way?

I'm Kevin.

The SEG30 manual states:

The Caiman SEG firmware is capable of processing the incoming digital data in four different ways, which in turn can produce a different sound signature and signal stability from individual source equipment.
    How to change signal processing modes:

Press and hold down the SELECT button for about two seconds. Release the SELECT button as soon as the RED STATUS LED lights up. The firmware will now automatically switch to the next data processing option.

 One LED blinks = Mode-1 = DAC chip XTAL Clock signal. Suitable for external clocks
     Two LED blinks = Mode-2 = Signal Data Clock processing Suitable for CD/DVD players, PC
     Three LED blinks = Mode-3 = Signal Data processing Suitable for streamed music, TV
     Four LED blinks = Mode-4 = DATA recovered Clock processing Suitable for everything, but clock tracking errors may occur when the data and the clock are out of sync.
    It does not speak about filters, which alter the sound.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Neds View Post
    Sorry, raised this within an older post to no avail ! What am I listening for here? Is it so subtle that it passes some people by? I’m not criticising the seg/ dorado combo, which, at its best, sounds amazing. I’ve got my filter set on 4, I.e. three flashes, which seems to be the most popular
    They are not filters, but clock settings. It is possible that you can't hear the difference. . In that case just leave it on anyone you are happy with, or the default setting, which is 1.

I'm Neds.

Thanks Kevin and Stan. Much clearer now as to how to use the modes. Sorry, didn’t mean to say filters!

+ Reply to Thread