+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using REW to see effect of moving speakers

I'm Jonathan.

Default Using REW to see effect of moving speakers

Hi all,

I was lucky enough to be given a UMIC-1 mic for Christmas and have been looking at the effect of moving speakers around on the SPL sweep measurement. I have a small listening room and therefore have some modes but I wanted to see if I can get a better response. My seating position is reasonably fixed but it has been interesting to see the effect of putting them in corners, out into the room, near side walls etc.

Has anyone else had success in using this setup to make adjustments in that it has confirmed or otherwise what your ears are telling you, or see the effect of movements or traps?

I'm Richard.

Jonathan,

I have used it (once) some months ago. I did find it useful in that it confirmed that my speakers (Living Voice Avatars R2 with rear-facing ports) did sound better when about 30 inches from the rear wall.

I was also interested in the supposed enhanced high frequency response of adding some Batpure super-tweeters. Here the results were not so evident - probably caused by the high-frequency roll-off of the UMIC-1 microphone.

Richard.

I'm Jonathan.

Interesting Richard.

I had some LV Avatars before my current speakers and could not get them to work in my small room and the REW results might have been interesting.

I'm Richard.

Hi,
    Kevin Scott (the owner/designer of LV) puts a lot of faith in valve amplification and Class A amps - esp the original Sugdens. What amp we're you using?

(I think btw that the DADA-modded Quad 306s also do a fantastic job in driving these very efficient speakers).

Richard.

I'm Jonathan.

I was using a John Wood EL84 amp and TVC pre. Sounded great in my old house and a larger room but I think I could not give the Avatars enough space to work in when we moved.

I'm Pete.

Yes, I've used REW extensively to take measurements and fine tune acoustic treatments/speaker placement.
    Analogue: Garrard 401 (NWA), NWA slate plinth, Redbeard bearing, SME IV, Dynavector XX-2 MkII, Pathos In The Groove Mk II. Digital: Self built PC, RME HDSPe MADI PCIe card, Mytek 8x192 ADDA & MADI DIO card. Other: Shadow Hills Equinox, ATC SCM50ASL Pro, Towersonic TS-1B, Analysis Plus Power Oval & XLR ic, Sine SRT-3KV, Sine SA-6, Sine Royal 2S

+ Reply to Thread