+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice On Audiophile/SQ Speakers From '67 - '74

I'm Geoff.

I like the L100 'Century' and have heard the original many times. They are a lot of fun, but far from perfect. Bass isn't really deep, there are colourations throughout the frequency range and the top end can be a little ragged, the LE20 and later LE25 cone tweeters have their limitations. On the plus side, there's loads of impact and detail, sensitivity is good and they are easy to drive.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ben.

Thank you for the reply. What would you recommend other than the L100 that would fit the bill?

I'm Patrick.

You could consider Ditton 66s (or Ditton 44s if you want less expensive).

I'm Ben.

The Celestion speakers do look nice. I am also looking at the Acoustic Research AR3a.

I'm Geoff.

The Ditton 66 are nice speakers, but have reached the point where spare parts are becoming harder to find. Just try locating a decent matched pair of the MD500 midrange units (there are aftermarket diaphram kits, but there's no telling how good those might be).

Good matched spares for the AR3a are even more tricky to come by. They are a great speaker though.

Vintage Tannoys may suit your purposes though and most of them can be serviced (at a price).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ben.

Aren't decent vintage Tannoys mucho ££££'s compared against the likes of the L100, Ditton 66 and AR3a speakers?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
    Aren't decent vintage Tannoys mucho ££££'s compared against the likes of the L100, Ditton 66 and AR3a speakers?
    Not necessarily, depends which models you are interested in. The L100, 66 and AR3a in good condition could have prices either side of £1000.

Our Julian is selling a beautiful pair of Tannoy Chatsworths for £1500 in the Private Exhibitions section.

Alternatively, on ebay there's a pair of Little Red Monitors with a slightly steep £1200 asking price, but open to offers. What models are available changes all the time. There are some Tannoys best avoided.

It's just a case of knowing which model suits and keeping an eye open.

I'm Ben.

What Tannoy models are still affordable to mortal man? Unfortunately those would be too much over budget.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12