+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New speakers/system . . . .

I'm Chris.

Default New speakers/system . . . .

I've gone and got some new speakers and made a new system whilst my Quads are being tweaked/repaired.
    It's pretty nice to put it mildly.

My room cannot even begin to cope with the soundstaging this setup throws but its in preparation of moving to a much larger space.
    Fiver to anyone who can name the speakers . . . . (without cheating and zooming in on them!).

Most manufacturer specs are meaningless but I can tell you now these are very flat to 22Hz. Didn't think it was possible south of 5k to be honest.

Setup1.jpg
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Rohan.

Look very serious, those!

I wouldn't worry about them being identified- even after enlarging the picture I have no clue!

I'm Grant.

no idea tbh. big beasties tho.. looks like 4 drivers. not many companys do split cabinet speakers.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

Okay well to relieve the errr "suspense" I can confirm they are "Grand Master Evolution" from a company called Cambridge Acoustic. A Polish company, naturally.

Some might have spotted them on the bay recently and when they had a price drop I couldn't resist. Definitely a gamble though as the only reviews available are from customers local to the designer in Poland and although they are numerous it did make me a bit skeptical.

The response figures are incredible. This is part of the "flagship" range but not the top model which apparently can get down to 18Hz flat.

They are certainly serious speakers and I'm only just beginning to hear what they can do.

This is what they first looked like when I had them setup. They have an extra full range driver on top which does add a little extra sparkle and also makes them even more efficient and brings them from 96 to 101db efficiency. For most music however, with scale and dynamics, they do remove some coherence from the presentation therefore I've decided to leave them off for now. I think they look better without them anyway.

IMAG2348.jpg
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm Chris.

So now they are effectively a 4-way speaker with the bass cabinet housing the crossover. I'm still waiting to find out from the previous owner exactly what spec they are (drivers etc) as they are all custom built speakers. Plus a full lifetime (free return) warranty is included which is nice and shows the confidence in the design.

They did come with some crappy jumper cables illustrated in the first pic so I made some better ones . . . does sound better actually.

IMAG2350.jpg

IMAG2362.jpg

I'm Chris.

Sound-wise they are just massive. Far too big for my current room however I've experienced a bit of what my Neurochrome amp and these can do together and its quite astonishing. The overall and sheer texture to the sound is something else. Bass is dealt with in a manner I've not experienced before either. No boom just masses of obvious headroom as the amp grips the speakers and always seems to have something in reserve.

I'm still learning about them during every listen.

When they're in my new room (hopefully soon) they'll really have some room to breath as I can hear they are being a bit strangled in my modest loft at the moment.

Coming from my Quads I expected to give up more clarity in the midrange but they are not far off at all. Certainly not far enough from them for me to think about swapping them back in anytime soon. Although I still love my Quads dearly. This is something else altogether different though. Dynamic presence to get excited about. Something the Quads can only hint at to be honest.

Many years happy listening await I hope.

I'm Dennis.

Very interesting, do you have a spec?

I'm Chris.

Still waiting for exact spec from previous owner but this is lifted from the website (translated from Polish!).

The upper part is a broadband speaker. The middle monitor working in a closed housing - the lower part in a bass reflex enclosure all combined into one column, 24 cm deep 32 cm Terminals VBT-Gold Pro Woofers - KEVLAR Tweeters - SILK DOME Broadband Speaker - CELLULOSE on a ribbon suspension All elements connected with Silver Connection cables visible on the Photo are part of the PARAMETER set Recommended amplifier 40-150 watts Recommended amplifier 10 -60 watts Frequency range 10 Hz - 35 KHz (measurement with generator) Frequency range audible 20 Hz - 18kHz Effectiveness of mode I - 101 db Effectiveness of mode II - 98 db Effectiveness of mode III - 96 db Impedance mode I - 10 ohm Impedance mode II - 8 ohm Impedance mode III - 4 ohm

When I get it I'll post the materials/spec of drivers/tweeters etc.

I'm Mike.

They look like something very loosely between an Isobarik and a big ATC. They look ported but are they two separate boxes a la SBL or another design? You say 4 way (?????) but even if 3 way X-over design, they're mightily efficient ! About the only way your 63s can compete is possibly in the narrow mid-range purity but I'd imaging slam alone makes you hold your breath. Mind you, ESLs are good for imaging/soundstaging (I have 2905s).

I'm Chris.

Yes Mike, they are ported at the front and two (or three!) separate boxes. It is unusual to say the least but I have to say somehow the designer has managed to pull off the efficiency figures as I have very easily driven it with an EL34 SET power amp although it sounded better with my 300B SET (although in parallel configuration so more like 18 watts rather than 9).

I also chanced on them as they reminded me of a speaker I "constructed" (or rather placed on top of a sub). It was an efficient driver with good bass extension already, underpinned by a sub which also doubled as a stand for the speaker. The sub could be quite successfully decoupled from the speaker so vibrations were not really an issue. I sold them and they sounded absolutely lovely.

Here is an old pic.

Boyuu-K8-Full-Range-Speakers-8-Single.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast