+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New speakers/system . . . .

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    About the only way your 63s can compete is possibly in the narrow mid-range purity but I'd imaging slam alone makes you hold your breath. Mind you, ESLs are good for imaging/soundstaging (I have 2905s).
    Indeed, I was firmly in love with the mid-range of ESL's (I moved from 57's as I wanted 'some' low-end) but after more listening, what I though I was giving up in terms of mid-range, is likely just less emphasis on that part of the frequency range from these speakers. It's such a treat for the ear when the depth, presence and atmosphere are suddenly presented with this level of authority.

In fact I believe they are actually more detailed than the Quads (which I thought were excellent in this regard). The only area the Quads still excel over these actually, is the speed of transients and leading notes which does create some spell binding moments still.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Mike.

Yes, I don't think there are any coil speakers which can compete with ESLs (or planar generally?) for speed. The difference is tiny, but quite perceptible after living with big m/coil speakers for 50 years ! Your 'second storey' sub speaker looks very professional as well as menacing. A few years ago I had ProAc Response Fours (133kg each), then bought 57s as an experiment (nice but not enough scale). Three weeks later I saw my 2905s advertised; haven't looked back.

I'm Chris.

Yes, I don't think there are any coil speakers which can compete with ESLs (or planar generally?) for speed. The difference is tiny, but quite perceptible after living with big m/coil speakers for 50 years ! Your 'second storey' sub speaker looks very professional as well as menacing. A few years ago I had ProAc Response Fours (133kg each), then bought 57s as an experiment (nice but not enough scale). Three weeks later I saw my 2905s advertised; haven't looked back.
    Thanks Mike, do your 2905's do scale as well as your coil speakers do/did?

The guy I bought my current 63's from had 2912's in the same (massive!) room. He said the 63's weren't a million miles off but I think we both knew they probably were, as he only played me the 63's. Understandable really as he wanted to make the sale rather than show me what I could be listening to! I was happy enough with the sound of the 63's so I certainly wasn't upset that I might unwittingly expose myself to something significantly better than what I was about to spend a fair amount of money on. A direct comparison would likely have left me feeling a bit flat about my purchase.

I think if I could get a blend of the two it might be my perfect speaker but I'm probably just being unrealistic in wanting that level of detail, clarity and scale. Whilst still staying on the right side of 5 figures of course. If I was going over 10k I think I would settle for absolutely nothing less.
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm Mike.

Yes Chris; the 2905s do indeed do scale on a par with the R4s, albeit in a different way. Likewise imaging and soundstaging, which is probably better on the ESLs. My local bake-off mafia are partly responsible for my changing horses, as (about 7/8 years ago) they acknowledged my upper Naim system but not my ProAcs; they were mostly valve/ESL people, though. Whatever, no looking back.

63s were the mainstay of one of these (with E.A.R. amplification) but he changed to 2812s last year (or 2018?). Yes, the 2812s are an improvement,but the 2805s preceded the 2812s, so you'd expect it !

Guess your next cost effective upgrade in this department is to keep the same footprint but go up; 2905s, which can be had for little over 2 grand nowadays. Mine are the Classique version; brown and gold (more like the 63s?), supposedly finished to order from Jacky Chan and then put onto the market for £500 more.

I'm Chris.

Hi Mike, I have no doubt a pair of 29**'s will make their way into my listening room at some point. Although I'm not impatient and will thoroughly enjoy the virtues of my current 63's (when they are back from warranty work) as well as my new beasts . . . . famous last words though.

Quads and E.A.R.'s are typically an excellent match by all accounts. I think Quads deserve valves, although can be extremely exciting with a huge sound obtainable with solid state, my personal preference is quite a saturated and rich sound with lush texture. My Quads will always provide that extremely intimate performance and provide the micro-details at much lower volume than other speakers so they will always have a place in my system.

I'm Chris.

Are you still using Naim amplification in your system at all? What has been your best match with your Quads?

I'm Mike.

No more Naim of any description, and I used to have 7 boxes of it. T. de P. used the 63s when designing the 509 amplifiers (from the horse's mouth), so I reckon perfect synergy is guaranteed, although that's not to say that other flavours of amplification wouldn't be enjoyable. I wouldn't mind trying some if any came up locally (Conrad Johnson is tempting but I'd much prefer British, for practical reasons).

E.A.R. 912/509s; 4 box (valved) LECTOR CDP; N.A. Dais with 12" chromed PU7 and Ace Anna arms; Transfig. Proteus, K.Urushi Vermillion and a m/magnet cart. Can amp + Focal and Senn's, Chord, T.Q. and silver I/Cs. Quad 2905s

I'm Chris.

Thanks for that info Mike. Incredible components you have there. No doubt in my mind you have assembled an audibly desirable system.

Cheers.

I'm David.

No more Naim of any description, and I used to have 7 boxes of it. T. de P. used the 63s when designing the 509 amplifiers (from the horse's mouth), so I reckon perfect synergy is guaranteed, although that's not to say that other flavours of amplification wouldn't be enjoyable. I wouldn't mind trying some if any came up locally (Conrad Johnson is tempting but I'd much prefer British, for practical reasons).

E.A.R. 912/509s; 4 box (valved) LECTOR CDP; N.A. Dais with 12" chromed PU7 and Ace Anna arms; Transfig. Proteus, K.Urushi Vermillion and a m/magnet cart. Can amp + Focal and Senn's, Chord, T.Q. and silver I/Cs. Quad 2905s
    Hi Mike - have just seen this thread and your Conrad Johnson comment...I have a Conrad Johnson Premier 350SA amp for sale if you are interested. Fantastic amp that is as good as the many online reviews. Let me know if you are interested

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12