+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Daft question regarding Royd Minstrels.

I'm Rich.

Default Daft question regarding Royd Minstrels.

Hi All

Probably an idiotic question....

I’m lending a friend my old Minstrels, got them down from the loft for a quick check for gumming and noticed that there is a hole in the centre of one of the rods.

Is this normal? And if not, is there a simple remedy and how does it affect the sound?

That speaker did seem a little quieter than the other, but could just be my imagination.

Cheers

Rich

I'm Deleted.

Which ‘rods’ are you referring to?
    Account Deleted

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by dicy View Post
    Hi All

I’m lending a friend my old Minstrels, got them down from the loft for a quick check for gumming and noticed that there is a hole in the centre of one of the rods
    Rods ??

I also owned a pair of Minstrels and loved them
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Rich.

The metal brass rod in the middle of the bass drivers

Is it the voice coil?

I'm Deleted.

Ah, that actual metal piece is called the ‘pole piece’ (it’s actually plated steel) - the voicecoil is a very thin coil of wire on a thin tube that moves around the pole piece and is attached to the cone. The speaker missing the pole piece will work without it but it shouldn’t really have fallen out and the speaker would work better if it was still there.
    Account Deleted

I'm Rich.

Thanks for the answers, my mate absolutely loves them, so hopefully not too much quality lost

I'm Neil.

Some Royd drivers do have a hole in the centre of the pole piece, I wonder if there's been a driver replacement at such point, but I don't think it'll make a difference to the sound.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread