+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The big vinyl push

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
    Surprised you're so unimpressed with the Audionote cartridge given the price of them.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    It doesn't do much for me in this system to be honest. Lacks detail and is bland.
    Thorens TD 124 mkII, SME 3009 mkII unimproved, Transfiguration Spirit mk1. Arcam Delta 70.3.
    Radford Revival STA 25 and Rothwell Indus
    Tannoy Cheviot and RFC crossovers.
    RFC Mercury interconnects and Rhodium Twist speaker cable.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If you are happy that 5.2mV will be well within the overload capability of the MM preamp then that's fine, but remember the 0.27mV cartridge output is quoted at a 'typical' playback velocity of 5cm/sec. Peak playback levels can easily be 10 - 50 times as high.

A 20:1 turns ratio will transform the nominal 47k input impedance of the MM preamp down to ~ 120 Ohm, which is perfect.
    Ok, perfect for the quoted output of .27 but likely not in reality when a x10 step up might be more appropriate. Tbh the mm phono is an unknown quantity being a DIY unit.
    Thorens TD 124 mkII, SME 3009 mkII unimproved, Transfiguration Spirit mk1. Arcam Delta 70.3.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Some early MMs had an output of 4-5mV, and the Deccas have an output of up to 7mV. So I don't think you will have a problem - I was just being over cautious.
    Barry

I'm John.

To get a seriously stonking MC pre for relatively little money, look no further than the Big Bottle phono (approx £650).
    Barrington brought his tweaked mk1 to a couple of BOs last year, and on its 1st appearance it thrashed my MFA SUT feeding into the mm stage of my MasterSound PHL5 pre. On its 2nd visit it stood its ground against my Tron Seven mm/MFA SUT combo, with the BB giving more in the LF (weight, extension texture etc) whereas my rig was better on HF (air, space, detail) but the differences were nowhere near as great as the £4.3k rrp difference, go figure.
    Have a word with Ollie (Bigman80) about your requirements, as I'm sure the new BB mk3 will be even better than Barringtons mk1.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    To get a seriously stonking MC pre for relatively little money, look no further than the Big Bottle phono (approx £650).
    Barrington brought his tweaked mk1 to a couple of BOs last year, and on its 1st appearance it thrashed my MFA SUT feeding into the mm stage of my MasterSound PHL5 pre. On its 2nd visit it stood its ground against my Tron Seven mm/MFA SUT combo, with the BB giving more in the LF (weight, extension texture etc) whereas my rig was better on HF (air, space, detail) but the differences were nowhere near as great as the £4.3k rrp difference, go figure.
    Have a word with Ollie (Bigman80) about your requirements, as I'm sure the new BB mk3 will be even better than Barringtons mk1.
    I have Olis own BB, bought it from him a few ago, previously owned a Firebottle Vivant, and Trilogy 907.

Unless I ditch vinyl all together the BB isn't going anywhere. It combines the best of both of the stages I owned previously. Mind you it does have NOS Telefunken valves in it that are around £200 a pair which are a big improvement on the stock ones fitted, it did push the cost of the BB to nearly £900 but well worth it.

You might have to contact Oli via PinkFish Media Forum if you're interested in one as he's no longer on here.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post

Mike and John, thanks for the recommendation. I will add the Big Bottle.mk3 to the list of possible. At the moment I am also considering a Tron Convergence MC and a Croft plus head amp or SUT. I dont think Ollie and I have spoken previously but I will.seek him out and se if a demo is possible.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    .... but remember the 0.27mV cartridge output is quoted at a 'typical' playback velocity of 5cm/sec.
    Depends, as generally, Japanese coils have their outputs referenced to the American standard of 3.545 cms/sec rather than the European one of 5cms/sec. 0,27mV, if at the American standard, would equate to virtually 4 mV as far as I can see, which is pretty healthy for a l.o. m/coil

O.p. You may not feel the need for other sources at present, but it's always useful to have line inputs (if only for radio, TV, CDP or borrowing others' kit, etc.) I much prefer the all-in-one pre., rather than faff about with separate SUTs, I/Cs and potential hum prob's, and to that end I'd strongly suggest an E.A.R. pre. with built-in coil and mm stage. Superb dynamics and musicality, Cambridgeshire low-cost servicing, reliability and (I think) probable compatibility with the Radford which T. de P. may (?????) have had dealings with in his varied career.

His phono stages are revered among vinylistas. (and I am one with his 912). Nor would you lose out on resale if buying used as they don't hang around.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Depends, as generally, Japanese coils have their outputs referenced to the American standard of 3.545 cms/sec rather than the European one of 5cms/sec. 0,27mV, if at the American standard, would equate to virtually 4 mV as far as I can see, which is pretty healthy for a l.o. m/coil

O.p. You may not feel the need for other sources at present, but it's always useful to have line inputs (if only for radio, TV, CDP or borrowing others' kit, etc.) I much prefer the all-in-one pre., rather than faff about with separate SUTs, I/Cs and potential hum prob's, and to that end I'd strongly suggest an E.A.R. pre. with built-in coil and mm stage. Superb dynamics and musicality, Cambridgeshire low-cost servicing, reliability and (I think) probable compatibility with the Radford which T. de P. may (?????) have had dealings with in his varied career.

His phono stages are revered among vinylistas. (and I am one with his 912). Nor would you lose out on resale if buying used as they don't hang around.
    I might be too impatient to save for an EAR pre.that has a mm/mc. I would love to hear one and I do accept.that a line level is useful to have. At.the moment I am leaning g towards a MC Tron Convergence.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by guero View Post
    I might be too impatient to save for an EAR pre.that has a mm/mc.
    You may be doing yourself a favour. Whilst the 834P sounds OK on MM input, the built in SUT's for the MC side are not great.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You may be doing yourself a favour. Whilst the 834P sounds OK on MM input, the built in SUT's for the MC side are not great.
    A friend said they were a little noisy. I haven't heard so cant say either way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12