+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing sticky tape residue from turntable in storage for a while

I'm Pete.

Default Removing sticky tape residue from turntable in storage for a while

Dear all

I've been absent for a while; the birth of my daughter got in the way of music. However, she is now 5 and I'm at the point where I'm ready to set my system up again.

So, in my wisdom, prior to moving house and shortly after aforementioned arrival of child, I used copious amounts of masking tape to secure my tonearm in place and also the little plastic cover to protect my cartridge.

As such, after 5 years in storage, my turntable will (hopefully) shortly be back in business, however after removing the masking tape there is a lot of sticky residue on the tonearm and sides of the body of the cartridge. This is where I would be very grateful for any advice.

I presumably need some kind of very gentle solvent to remove the residue from the tonearm, but I am acutely aware that anything too strong could ruin the outer coating finish of said tonearm. I've googled extensively for 'gentle solvents' but nothing so far is filling me with confidence. The arm is a SME IV if that helps narrow down the options.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge/assistance.

I'm Andre.

If its still sticky adhesive & not gone hard WD40..

I'm Grant.

yup,wd or even a little parrafin may do job without hurting finish
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I use furniture spray polish. Squirt a bit on and leave it for an hour, the tape residue starts coming off then. You may need to do this a couple of times, but it's a safe method.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    If its still sticky adhesive & not gone hard WD40..
    Be very careful with WD40 it is actually hydroscopic, which believe it or not absorbs water over time and will then cause rust, not good for any bearings. I know this from many years experience of working on old cars. If you want a safe product that is a lubricant then it is ACF50, completely hydrophobic.

Olbas Oil or Eucalyptus oil is good for breaking down glue, or you could try a small amount of lighter fuel, but try these on a hidden part of the arm especially if a black painted one.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Charlie.

Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) works well and won't damage anything. It's used in record cleaning fluids so any you have left over will be very handy!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas B View Post
    Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) works well and won't damage anything. It's used in record cleaning fluids so any you have left over will be very handy!
    Seconded. Use it for everything, including my RCM (but separately ! ) Cotton buds make for more delicate and accurate cleaning with it, but IPA (a.k.a. isopropanol) is the stuff.

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Be very careful with WD40 it is actually hydroscopic, which believe it or not absorbs water over time and will then cause rust, not good for any bearings. I know this from many years experience of working on old cars. If you want a safe product that is a lubricant then it is ACF50, completely hydrophobic.

Olbas Oil or Eucalyptus oil is good for breaking down glue, or you could try a small amount of lighter fuel, but try these on a hidden part of the arm especially if a black painted one.
    I wasnt intending any bearing work just a paint finish. The sticky will come straight off anyway so will be on there and off before you know it.. Switch contact spray should work the same..

I'm Jonathan.

I use a spray electrical cleaner on any sticky residue which works well. Put it on lint free cloth or cotton bud first rather than spraying directly on.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    I wasnt intending any bearing work just a paint finish. The sticky will come straight off anyway so will be on there and off before you know it.. Switch contact spray should work the same..
    I was just trying to be helpful, all light cleaning fluids will easily run and spread everywhere, and you would not want it getting near the bearings.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast