+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BBC LS3/5a

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Not really and especially not with a Luxman L505 to drive them. What you are hearing is the 'fabled' LS3/5A sound. A speakers designed to reproduce speech in a small studio or van at low levels. This they do really well but maybe this is not the way you are using them.
    I should have said that I didn't have the Luxman at that point. My home demo was with a Naim Supernait2.
    Melco N1A, Hegel 390, PMC Twenty5 22.

I'm Dave.

Still more than adequate to drive an LS3/5A.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Lee I've owned the Stirling LS3/5a's and loved them
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Lee I've owned the Stirling LS3/5a's and loved them
    I don't know what units they use but if they do not use Kef units ill most probably like them..

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    I don't know what units they use but if they do not use Kef units ill most probably like them..
    Andre the ones I owned were the standard LS3/5a's from Stirling which used the proper Kef units... I believe Stirling now have V2's which use differnt drivers so maybe you'd like those
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Andre.

The Audiomasters i used to have were original 15 Ohm jobbies. I didnt like the sound of the Tweeter. However ive heard of Monocor units nowadays. They should sound fine.. I like small speakers cos i have a small room. I can just hear things clearer too.

My Stirling LS3/5a's sounded lovely to me and I didn't have any problems with the tweeters...I'd own them again if I needed small speakers

However my Maggies are sounding better than anything else I've owned so they are keepers...and I also have quite a small room but the .7's seem to like it..
    Bev

I'm Andre.

I used to have a large pair of Castles in this living room, tried allsorts but justcould not seem to hear the Bass depth i knew they could provide, yet if i went into the next room i could hear it in there. So the moral of the story is, they were too bigger speakers wasted not to mention taking room up.. Active monitors in the spare room but Vintage full range unit small bookshelves in the living room, sound luverly.. I can get everything that was not wasted with the big speakers but with more clarity..

What speakers are you now using Andre that sound so good ?
    Bev

I'm Andre.

No ones heard of them or probably don't know they existed. The are the special edition [Back then early 70's] Wharfdale 'Denton 1'. They use a single full range unit as did the 'Chevin XP2' No crossover, all that was required was new binding posts & a new piece of wire.. They have nothing what so ever in common with the 'Denton' that people know..

Not my picture but they are em. I have replaced the grill fabric with smooth modern cloth. That old hessian style cloth looked a bit rough.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast