+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie With The Mod Bug SL1210 MKII

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Look into an Ikea bamboo chopping board with decent spiked feet. You'll probably spend less than £50 and will notice a difference.
    I noticed that in your thread you linked to above. It looks great. Is there any way to get the dead images to show in your thread? It was a great read but I do love a photo of two.

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    I honestly cant argue with any of that

Thanks, its nice to know I haven't gone mad.

Do you now if there is a lot of difference between the two PSU's in the the list.

I'm Kevin.

I think that most of the gain is had by moving the PSU out of the deck.
    As long as the PCB is fed clean, regulated power than I personally fail to see what the difference will be between a cheap linear PSU and a more expensive one. It is only used to spin the platter, and without mods to the PCB in the deck, an expensive PSU is probably wasted.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Kevin.

For info, you can still get a better bearing for the SL1200, but it is not cheap. Funk Firm do a SL1200 version of their bearing, called Sp!n.
    I have one, and there was not a massive difference between the Mike New and this one if I am honest.
    Kevin

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I think that most of the gain is had by moving the PSU out of the deck.
    As long as the PCB is fed clean, regulated power than I personally fail to see what the difference will be between a cheap linear PSU and a more expensive one. It is only used to spin the platter, and without mods to the PCB in the deck, an expensive PSU is probably wasted.
    There is a very clear difference. If you haven't done the comparisons then your view is based on no direct experience.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

For info, you can still get a better bearing for the SL1200, but it is not cheap. Funk Firm do a SL1200 version of their bearing, called Sp!n.
    I have one, and there was not a massive difference between the Mike New and this one if I am honest.
    There is, again I have done a direct comparison.
    Regards Neil

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    There is, again I have done a direct comparison.
    I have too. So which bearing would you recommend, and what platter did you use it with?
    It is a bit of a moot point though, as there is only one of them readily available on the market. There is a slightly cheaper bearing available though, which looks like a modified SL1200 bearing from pictures I have seen. The Timestep bearing.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

There is a very clear difference. If you haven't done the comparisons then your view is based on no direct experience.
    What is the clear difference? Does it improve wow and flutter, (which is already pretty good).
    The PSU is not in the audio chain in any way, so it cannot affect much else, apart from the lack of interference.
    Kevin

I'm Ben.

The PSU is not in the audio chain in any way, so it cannot affect much else, apart from the lack of interference.
    This is what I was thinking. I would really appreciate your input when you read this Neil as I would like to buy what is needed first time round without having to pull thing apart to swap parts over

I'm Neil.

What is the clear difference? Does it improve wow and flutter, (which is already pretty good).
    Kevin I linked to the reviews I wrote, subjective ones. I am not willing to debate you. You state your belief based on no experience, I challenged that, my experience comparing numerous PSUs is there. I compared two others at the same time, but threats to sue me if I mentioned the company or the results means I left those PSUs out of the review, despite owning and having paid for them with my own money.

And as a reminder this is a subjectivist forum.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast