+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Newbie With The Mod Bug SL1210 MKII

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    You are correct - he was pretty ill a while back and no longer makes parts for these decks.

An alternative option is often found on eBay. Its a KAB modification to the existing bearing. The mod can be bought direct from KAB (USA) and added to your current bearing but on ebay it is sold as an already moded bearing (new base plate with wax to put under the bearing).

I have both on different decks and i doubt you would spot the difference unless you heard them side by side.

Mel
    Thanks for the advice but I will hold out for one of Ian's coming up for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Ian has mended in fact he bought my spare Denon 103R the other day

But due to the cost of the original bearings and the fact that there isn’t much of a market for his upgraded ones he hasn’t done any in ages.
    I chatted with him briefly via email but didn't want to hassle him. I have said I would like one but if he isn't doing modding anymore, one isn't going to be tempting enough to get him out of retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    There's also Dave Cawley's Timestep bearing which is still available IIRC.
    As above, appreciate the advice and input. I'll hope against hope that one of Ian's comes up for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral Morn View Post
    pm him and if you supplied a bearing, always bearings on EBay, he might do you one. I never availed of doing that, because I moved on from the Technics being my main interest, which came about as a result of wanting to test everything that was being said on here and elsewhere. Having done that, wrote about it (I never did a comparison of mats, that was going to happen, but I think there is none to little interest now I won't) I moved on to other things. The Ian Mac bearing, if he will do you one will be about the best option, bar a used Spin, or Mike New, which do still crop up. Vantage Audio bearings are out there too.

I do still have a modded 1200, and I won't be parting with it, but my main turntable is different now.
    We caught up via email. I said I would like one but I'm not going to hassle him about it for obvious reasons. If he wants to make another I'm sure he will get in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    The Spin is one of the few still available, but it is not cheap.
    I believe that the Timestep is also still available, as is the KAB. They were last time I looked, but it has been a few years.
    Holding out for one of Ians

Quote Originally Posted by vs_jk View Post
    I didn't have the opportunity to compare to other bearings. But I can tell you the IanMac is very well done. He used to have two versions. I got the type that has an oil trough. Here is what the bearing looks like compared to stock.
    The workmanship speaks for itself, nice bit of engineering. It looks amazing.

I'm Mike.

Drop Ian a pm, you never know

He's been building an amp for his son and is tinkering again so he might be willing to help you out.

I'm bighead.

Is there any better SL1200 platter available? Funk Firm's is very expensive.
    Last edited by bighead1707; 27-01-2020 at 08:56.

I'm Kevin.

Inspire HiFi for bearing and platter, failing that, 2nd hand.
    I have no experience of the Inspire HiFi products.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Andrew.

There is a mike new bearing for sale on the forum I'd snap that up right now.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Kevin.

They don't get much beter than the Mike New bearing. Sure, it is expensive, but I doubt you would lose much on it if you decided to.sell.it on.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

I had a look at the Funk Firm website, and they no longer list platter and bearing upgrades. It seems like the market for modified Technics SL12xx parts is drying up, possibly due to lack of demand.

So, if you want a different platter and bearing, buy them while you still can, if you can find the stock.
    Kevin

I'm Neil.

A week ago the bearing and plater were, looks like a site update has occurred. To be frank, the platter at the list price £825, as was, was a complete and utter joke. Neither the fit and finish or material used could justify that price. The previous version was better in terms of fit and finish, and much cheaper.

There was one for sale on here, now sold, and at £325 its selling price, that is a fair price for what the Strata was, in regards of its material, fit and finish. I note the sellers platter also originally had the Mike New bearing fit issue, which makes me think that seller got the early production bearing hub, which was made before that problem was discovered, by myself and another early tester.
    Regards Neil

I'm Andrew.

Mike New all the way baby!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Mike New all the way baby!
    Off the used market as Mike seems to no longer be active.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast