+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie With The Mod Bug SL1210 MKII

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    For my two-penny worth I would also recommend the Funk Achromat. I tried many mats from cheap rubbish to some expensive exotica. The Achromat was by far the best. I’ve tried a 1210 with power supply removed but did not feel there was an audio improvement over my own 1210 so left that bit alone. Isonoes are worthwhile and definitely improve the suspension over original feet. Replacing the bearing while making a small improvement, I did not feel was worth the expense if original bearing is in good condition, however I did replace the bearing to a Mike New product which is now getting a bit harder to obtain.
    As for the arm, cartridge, you pays your money and and takes your choice, don’t forget to account for arm board. A good idea is to speak to Hugo at Ammonite Audio of this parish. He has a wealth of experience.

Hi Clive.

Good to hear I am on the right path with a mat and feet. The bearings are original but don't seem in poor condition. One from Ian or one of Mikes would be nice but I fear I am too late to the party to pick one up.

Arm wise I want to stick with on the fly vt. So anything along those lines. Modded original arm or something else as long as it keeps the vt.

Cart wise I am looking at the Audio Technica AT33EV Cartridge but an still undecided on a headshell.

I'll look for Hugo too, thank very much
    Last edited by HD Goofnut; 04-01-2020 at 22:16.

I'm Ben.

Hi Richard.

Moving the PSU is of interest but I must ask how much difference is there between the likes of Paul Hynes and the one Robert posted the ebay link to?

I'm new to modding the SL1210 but i'm not new to SQ or being an audiophile geek

I know there is a lot of snake oil out there and don't want to get unnecessarily*bitten. If both will do the same job and both are equally and well built with the same outcome I don't see any point in paying extra for clever marketing and a name.

I'm Jim.

The advantage in moving the PSU is because the previously internally mounted transformer is now removed and away from the rest of the table. It's also beneficial to have no mains AC in the table. Is it a worthwhile upgrade? Absolutely, unquestionably. Heck, DIY it, works great, lasts long time. There is no magic in the PSU itself.

Here's what I suggest for upgrade -

PSU
    Mat (acromat or cork)
    Feet (Merely placing stock feet on vibrapods is wildly better than just stock, no idea why. I have and recommend Isonoes)
    Re-wire stock arm. (The stock arm is much better than you expect, I never should have gotten rid of mine... )

In my experience you can make the SL-1200 compete with most anything out there, it's a simply wonderful table. This cannot be said enough, and it will stand on it's own quite well compared to any audiophile tables out there today, and simply bury most of them. I also think that changing the arm is not worthwhile, if you are dying to have a go at various arms, start yourself down the SP-10 path and don't look back.
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Kevin.

I disagree that changing the arm is not worthwhile. My Funk FX-1200 works wonderfully well on my SL1200.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Jim.

I'm not saying it's not worthwhile. I am saying that in my experience, it's not worth the bother as whatever arm you want to use will be put to significantly better effect on a SP-10.
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Andrew.

You'll not push a 1210 further than this... https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...1210+gonna+fun
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
    I'm not saying it's not worthwhile. I am saying that in my experience, it's not worth the bother as whatever arm you want to use will be put to significantly better effect on a SP-10.
    But an SP-10 is about £1k before restoration.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Ben.

This is where I am at the moment with my list.

- Audio Technica AT33SA Dual Moving Stereo Cartridge
    - Micro Seiki MA-505 Tonearm & Headshell
    - Magna Audio Ebony Armboard
    - Oyaide BR-12 Turntable Mat
    - Isonoe Audio Isolation Feet
    - MCRU Regulated Dual Output Linear Power Supply or the SR4 Power Supply

The amp is a Trio KA-6000 and the speakers are B&W DM4.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post

I honestly cant argue with any of that
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post

Look into an Ikea bamboo chopping board with decent spiked feet. You'll probably spend less than £50 and will notice a difference.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast