+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10"/12" Tannoys

I'm Phil.

ah thanks geoff , yes must compare the old type to the new sometime . very very rare a standmount lasts long here... these have outlasted any other standmount
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Purely by coincidence, I'm working on a pair of Tannoys which are probably just the sort of thing you are after. These will be for my system though .

They started out as very battered empty Dorset cabinets, which I've nearly finished restoring and converting into reflex boxes instead of ABR items. Into which the 2528 drivers from my Ascots will be mounted, once I've fitted these with modified SRM 10B cone assemblies. They will end up looking like smaller versions of my previous Cheviot Mk.II speakers.
    Interesting, I did not think the Chesters I had were that great, certainly not compared to the Stirling. I had a pair of the smaller DC1000s years ago as my first Hifi purchase, I think the plastic coned models of that era seem a little vague in the mid-range.
    Michell Mycro / AT33PTG/II | Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk | Yamaha CD-NT670D | Bryston B60R | ATC SCM10

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsontoast View Post
    Interesting, I did not think the Chesters I had were that great, certainly not compared to the Stirling. I had a pair of the smaller DC1000s years ago as my first Hifi purchase, I think the plastic coned models of that era seem a little vague in the mid-range.
    The cabinets alone will be from the Chester and will be modified. The rest of the speaker will be different and will not have a plastic cone.

The DC1000 was by Tannoy standards, a budget speaker. Quite good fun though. The more expensive plastic coned System 800 was in a different league.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The cabinets alone will be from the Chester and will be modified. The rest of the speaker will be different and will not have a plastic cone.

The DC1000 was by Tannoy standards, a budget speaker. Quite good fun though. The more expensive plastic coned System 800 was in a different league.
    Yes, the DC1000s served me well for many years, when ignorance was bliss and then I descended into the depths of HiFi Forums....
    Michell Mycro / AT33PTG/II | Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk | Yamaha CD-NT670D | Bryston B60R | ATC SCM10

I'm Scott.

I had a pair of Tannoy Oxfords a few years ago, great sounding 10” tannoys for the price, don’t seem to get as much love compared to the dual concentrics though.

I'm Phil.

been learning from a gentleman who knows a bit about tannoys [ and thats an understatement !!]

the newer waveguide models such the eaton legacy have more immediacy from their tulip waveguides not less, due to raised and more linear HF output which extends well beyond those of the older pepperpots which roll off at circa 18KHz.

The pepper pots used a magnet which was deeper allowing the horn to be long enough so that the inverted signal from the compression driver (inverted via the drilled phase cap to form a virtual signal propagation point within the horn mouth) lined up phase correct with the LF voicecoil. This was only possible with the older drivers shared magnet AlNiCo motor and the newer pepperpot 15 inch models. The new ones could have employed a similar horn length and phase relationship with the tulip waveguide but chose not to....for what reason I don't know, so the new ones are not phase corrected despite the blurb. If only Tannoy had employed a p[hysically phase corrected tulip waveguide, it would have bettered the older ones by quite some margin in every respect!

Interestingly, neither are time aligned. The older pepper pots and newer pepper-pot ones ARE phase aligned though...two separate things.

Eric Bibb

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
    I had a pair of Tannoy Oxfords a few years ago, great sounding 10” tannoys for the price, don’t seem to get as much love compared to the dual concentrics though.
    I also have a pair of Oxfords, not bad speakers, 10" bextrene bass unit, relatively cheap Audax tweeter in a Tannoy short horn, not really comparable to the Dual Concentrics, of which I have HPD315's.
    Spendorman

I'm Rob.

I am still after some Tannoys but its sort of on hold. Since I first thought about getting a pair, we have now started the process of moving house!

I'll still keep an eye out for a pair of Dover or Caernarvons but the new room may well be bigger than our current living room so no rush! Just arranged a pair of ATC SCM10s to tide me over for the moment, and then to go into a second system in the new house!

I'm Phil.

hope the move goes well

Eric Bibb

+ Reply to Thread