+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello

I'm Ben.

Default Hello

Hello

I joined up yesterday after I accidentally stumbled upon the forum. A pleasant surprise.

I am putting a small SQ system together for my father and after bit of a Google last night I discovered my SL1210 MKII's (that have been stored in my cupboard for approx 10 years) seem to have a huge following with regards to modding for SQ. I didn't realise these were so revered and sought after. I bought my set in the beginning of the 90's so it makes perfect sense to me to give him one of mine as they are such a solid well made machine and in pretty good condition.

Mods wise I would love some suggestions as I have been searching this forum and there appears to be so much to choose from.

I'm also looking for recommendations of where to source the parts online and someone who can carry out any soldering work that maybe required as I can't solder to save my life!

The mod list so far set out below. If anything I have listed has a better counterpart for the same price please let me know.

- Jelco TS-550S 9" Tonearm
    - Audio Technica AT33EV Cartridge
    - Oyaide BR-12 Turntable Mat
    - Isonoe Audio Isolation Feet

I am undecided on moving the power supply externally. I know the theory behind doing it but is this mod is really needed.

I would also be interested to hear from anyone who has gone with the aftermarket platters and again if this mod is really needed.

Thanks very much guys, i'm off to do a lot more searching.

I'm Ben.

I forgot to add his record collection ranges from Buddy Holly The Chirping Crickets to Fats Domino and Tangerine Dream, Dire Straits, ZZ Top, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters and Bo Diddly. Plus a lot more in between.

I'm Rob.

Hi Ben, nice to see that you are putting a system together for your dad. I have had the reverse for some years.....my son has nicked cables, speaker stands, speakers, subwoofers....you name it.....etc etc.

So far as the TT is concerned. I have made a couple of turntables and started out with the intention of making one better than an equally priced commercial offering. I made a Rega 3 clone with uprated motor, wiring, counterweight, nice cart ....and it sounded pretty good. However, the software often lets the side down and IMO the quality of a lot of vinyl is pants and some that I have had for years is well past it's sell by date. I sold that TT and recently put together another one! "How can you be an Audiophile without using vinyl" some would say. Anyway..... it has a Rega arm and decent cartridge and it works and plays. If I were you I would see if your dad is happy with the Techie in it's current form, if he is....Job Done.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Ben.

It's nice to be able to do something that will be so appreciated. I bought him a Nakamichi CD player from the early 90's to go with this that he can use for his CD's.

Regarding the SL. The reason I want to mod it for better sound is i'm the first owner and know it's history. Other than servicing, it's 100% original and in pretty good condition considering the use and distances it's travelled. I was looking at spending a fair chunk of cash on another player but didn't see the point as this would have a more personal touch.

I'm Shane.

Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Ben. Welcome to AOS.

Did you see our Techipedia section? https://theartofsound.net/forum/foru...he-Techiepedia

Upgrading can be fun and rewarding, but bear in mind that making mods to the Technics turntables can end up pretty expensive and that what you may spend will probably never be reflected in resale value. Also, for everyday listening, the standard deck turns in a pretty decent performance.

Join in the chat and get to know the members, they're a friendly bunch.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998_mk2 View Post
    Howdy! Welcome to AOS.

Have fun.

S.
    Appreciated, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hello Ben. Welcome to AOS.

Did you see our Techipedia section? https://theartofsound.net/forum/foru...he-Techiepedia

Upgrading can be fun and rewarding, but bear in mind that making mods to the Technics turntables can end up pretty expensive and that what you may spend will probably never be reflected in resale value. Also, for everyday listening, the standard deck turns in a pretty decent performance.

Join in the chat and get to know the members, they're a friendly bunch.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    I did, the Techipedia section where I have spent all of my time since joining up Buying my dad a decent record player was always going to be expensive, I think giving him one of mine that I have owned then modded for him as a gift would have a lot more of a personal touch. Resale value isn't an issue either, this will be for his forever and a day.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Ben,

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread