+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: Bastanis Dragonfly Speakers (dual concentric rear horn)

I'm Lawrence.

Default FS: Bastanis Dragonfly Speakers (dual concentric rear horn)

I bought these DIY speakers a couple of years ago for my second system and they've given sterling service. In fact I liked them so much my plan was to tidy them up and use them in my main system. Unfortunately I just don't have the time to do that so I'm selling them on for what I paid, £200. I think this is a bargain for the sound quality. If anyone wants them, they need to be collected from near Durham in the next few days or they'll be on hold for a while. (But happy to take a down payment to hold onto them until next time I'm available).

They are dual concentric with the crossover being just a single capacitor on the tweeter. This combination makes them very cohesive across the whole frequency range and a near point source. Being a paper driver loaded by a rear horn they are also very efficient and can be driven by a low powered valve amp (but not sure about flea powered, I haven't tried). I believe the main driver is an 8" Eminence, with the tweeter supplied by Robert Bastanis.

The cabinets are a very solid build using 1" thick MDF I think.

If I was keeping them I would buy some nice iron on veneer (the cabinets are finished smooth ready to fit) and fix the wooden grilles better, maybe with magnets. They also stand rather precariously at the moment with the 3 legs so I was going to make a base for them. I would have used a rectangle of 1" thick solid wood and glue on 3 cuts off a table leg type piece of wood, drilling holes through the centres, then the speakers could be lowered into the base and stand stable. Spikes could also be fitted underneath, but would likely be unnecessary as the speakers would still be supported by the 3 legs with just a few mm gap between the wooden supports on the base and bottom of the cabinets.
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 30-12-2019 at 14:58.

I'm Lawrence.

Some more pics. Dimensions of cabinets are 90x35x25cm, and the legs add 10cm to the height. PM if interested.
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 31-12-2019 at 00:05.

I'm Lawrence.

Happy new year bump. Available for collection for another day or two.

I'm Lawrence.

I'm finally back up in Durham if anyone is interested in a fine pair of old school, dual concentric, paper cone, rear horn loaded, floorstanding speakers for £200.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

These would be a bloody bargain for someone. If I didn’t already have Bastanis OB’s I’d snap these up.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks just to add, these are genuine dual concentric, I have seen single drivers with whizzer cones described as that before, these do have tweeters in the middle!

I'm Lawrence.

Just speaking to Keith who's buying my valve amp (which these love btw) and it occurred to me that these could also be vinyl wrapped, not sure how to do a good job or if you need to take them somewhere but I might look into that myself if they don't sell.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Just speaking to Keith who's buying my valve amp (which these love btw) and it occurred to me that these could also be vinyl wrapped, not sure how to do a good job or if you need to take them somewhere but I might look into that myself if they don't sell.

Have already looked into this possibility and will talk with your further on Sunday. Keith

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Westendboy View Post
    Have already looked into this possibility and will talk with your further on Sunday. Keith
    excellent look forward to it

Last edited by Lawrence001; 24-07-2020 at 19:24.

I'm Lawrence.

Now set up with the Yamaha amp, these really suit valve amps and sounded beautiful with the Opera amp, but they still sound lovely with the solid state amp. I just wish I had a nice Class A amp to try like Chris' Pass Labs clone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast