+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 40 inch TV deals - Recommendations

I'm Mike.

The definition is good but I prefer the old tube style TV, where the motion flowed more naturally, this is not progress in my view, only benefit is the physical dimensions of the actual tv - flat so it can be hung on the wall. Is there any way to change settings so its more analogue! Weirdly watching on my laptop is more like tube TV, I'm confused. Surely there must be connoisseurs out there for the old tube 'analogue' TVS, you know the big fuck off massive ones that us removal men love carrying! I absolutely don't have the room in my flat, which is why a wall mount flat screen is great for me, but I want a natural picture with seamless flowing motion, is that possible with these new TVs? The one I've bought was £400, and is supposed to be good. LGum7500pla, very high pixilation.
    Last edited by Mikeandvan; 14-02-2020 at 22:28.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Grant.

Just what ur used to. Yes there will be plenty setting in it. Playing direct from a pc into it needs to be set up too, if you are that is.
    If it's smart then maybe speed issues.
    There are setups on u tube
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andre.

I bought the first Samsung LCD TV, the picture was more like an old kinda TV, funny how it said HD ready on the front I gave it the mother-in-law & she still uses it to this day. I generally buy a new TV every two years, this is by far the best although when i first got it the fast motion was making me dizzy, but ive sorted the setting out & its ok now..

I do sit down & say to myself, that is one super clean & detailed picture but in all reality does it actually look natural, well no in the way that High resolution sound on a stereo does not. Just our brains being overwhelmed.

I do sit down hours sometimes playing with Tones & thinks making the picture look less well HD

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    I bought the first Samsung LCD TV, the picture was more like an old kinda TV, funny how it said HD ready on the front I gave it the mother-in-law & she still uses it to this day. I generally buy a new TV every two years, this is by far the best although when i first got it the fast motion was making me dizzy, but ive sorted the setting out & its ok now..

I do sit down & say to myself, that is one super clean & detailed picture but in all reality does it actually look natural, well no in the way that High resolution sound on a stereo does not. Just our brains being overwhelmed.

I do sit down hours sometimes playing with Tones & thinks making the picture look less well HD
    Yeh its the motion I have a problem with, its almost like the definition is so sharp you feel the characters are in the room with you, but then the edges of each character seems to have a hardness which is odd. But with motion its more pronounced with old tv programs, I really liked the old tube tvs, would have one but don't have space. What setting do you change to deal with motion issues? Sometimes parts of the picture - i.e. a hand waving - will judder and to me that's just rubbish, as I said earlier, weird this doesn't happen on laptops, but I'm new to all this stuff. The choice is exasperating.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Andre.

On our TV go to Expert settings within the Picture settings . You can alter Auto motion from there.. Its for things like fast moving Action movies etc..

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The 'old' CRTs (and I had one for 37 years), had a very natural colour palette, good contrast (though that relied on a psychological
    'trompe d'oiel'
    ), zero motion blur, but only adequate resolution. It was, however, the culmination of nearly a century of development.

Modern (back lit) LCD or LED displays have much, much better definition (just look at, say, a discussion programme where the contributors have a glass of water each available for them to drink. With modern TVs you can see 'through' the glass and see the distorted image behind. You couldn't do that with the old 625 system.)

But they are not 'plug and play'. You have to 'calibrate' the display: set the colour gamut so that the blacks are black, whites are truly white without any tint, and flesh tones are natural. Don't use any animated cartoons for this, and avoid natural history programmes; unless you have been to the places visited, the colours may look impressive, but they can be unnatural if you rely on the set manufacturer's settings. Also check for unnatural contrast and the 'black line' around profiles set against a bright background.

Personally I don't find motion blur a problem - but then I don't watch football or rugby on TV.

Modern TVs are a revelation, but they do need setting up to achieve their best.
    Barry

I'm Gary.

OLEDs are a genuine step change up in quality imo.
    Replaced my previous plasma, and was a lot better.

Never got on with LCDs because of iffy backlighting.

OLED
    Incredible picture out the box, but they do still benefit from calibration.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Andre.

I have suffered with Back lighting with LCD. but this is Jet black.. No signs of patchy back lighting..

I'm Mike.

Yeh the back lighting can be really off putting, characters faces often look like there is light reflecting off them. Watched a few old films last though and they were good, Robocop from 1987, that was amusing.

I'm Mike.

Been watching a few days now and getting used to it, the sound is quite nice for a TV, I don't go in for hooking it up to hifi, I prefer sound not to dominate too much when watching films, thanks to whoever recommended it, a good buy for £400 I think.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast