+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TT with VTA: EasyVTA on lower end table or VPI Prime?

I'm Daniel.

Default TT with VTA: EasyVTA on lower end table or VPI Prime?

I am looking into an upgrade to my TT (Thorens 203, total POS, do not recommend at all).

I want to go the Shibata-style stylus route for least wear of my vinyl, and that benefits from VTA adjustments. I want VTA with micrometer-type adjustments, and that is only available on higher end models, or as a retrofit with EasyVTA.

My question is: Does it make sense to even look at a EasyVTA ($200) add-on for a solid but not superlative table (say Rega Planar 6 ~$2000), or is this penny-wise/pound-foolish and I should just bite the bullet with something like a VPI Prime ($4200)? Financially, both are possible, but I don't need pointless "golden toilet seats". Or will the add-on degrade sound too much that it will render higher end cartridges/styli moot?

I don't have a listening room set up, but appreciate well-built mechanical instruments (microscopes). Amp is a Rotel 1572 with B&W CM6s plus sub in my home office, and have a Woo WA6SE with upgraded tubes and Grado R2s for headphones. So decent, but not stratospheric. I will also then invest into a separate phono pre-amp with adjustable capacitance and ADC, but that is a separate topic; first things first.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hibster_2000 Guest

An easy VTA is one method. An http://www.audiomods.co.uk arm is another option as a reasonable price upgrade for a newer deck. The Technics SL1200G family is another.

I'm James.

Although the Rega 6 is a good turntable I feel to get to where you want to go with adjustable VTA in order that you can set up VTA for a Shibata stylus will be easily surpassed by a VPI Prime with a 2M Black. This turntable is certainly better than the Rega 6 and has all the micro set up for VTA,VTF and overhang you could wish for and will let you nail the sweet spot for a Shibata stylus.

To be honest I do not know what retro fitting you would need to do for the Rega tonearm but I can tell you the tonearm on the Prime is far better! So if you have the cash go for the VPI.

I have heard a 2M Black on this rig and it is very good indeed.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Deleted.

Frankly, I would abandon the idea that you need micrometer adjustment to VTA because you don’t need it. I’m not saying VTA isn’t important but you just need an arm with height adjustment and take care setting up the cartridge.
    Account Deleted

I'm Robert.

In my experience the sophisticated stylus profiles such as the Shibata are very sensitive to vta, without a doubt.

It's the way the stylus rides/sits in the groove due to its stylus shape.

As a result easy on the fly is a must with stylus's like the Shibata.

I've had extensive experience with these types mc's - Ortofon 2M Black, Quintet, Black, Cadenza Black - all Shibata tips and currently re-tipped Cadenza Black with the replicant type Fritz Gyger S stylus profile.

My experience is that close is not good enough. The only time they have ever sounded right, is when set/up and in particular, vta has been nailed.

In my experience the sweet-spot is extremely narrow with these stylis profiles.

I've always nailed it after meticulous attention to the other set up areas: tracking force, anti-skate, azimuth, protractor arc, nil points etc etc and then finally dialling in the vta.

Takes time but once nailed you just know, you hear it, everything comes together and sounds right / balanced, fabulous and well worth the pain once it's found.

You have to be patient and 'listen' as you carefully/slowly dial in.

It is why I have only ever used tonearms with 'on the fly vta', (and only ever will) to accommodate these types of stylus profiles, which again, in my experience major on detail / info retrieval, accuracy, neutrality and really let you know what these carts are about
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    In my experience the sophisticated stylus profiles such as the Shibata are very sensitive to vta, without a doubt.

It's the way the stylus rides/sits in the groove due to its stylus shape.

As a result easy on the fly is a must with stylus's like the Shibata.

I've had extensive experience with these types mc's - Ortofon 2M Black, Quintet, Black, Cadenza Black - all Shibata tips and currently re-tipped Cadenza Black with the replicant type Fritz Gyger S stylus profile.

My experience is that close is not good enough. The only time they have ever sounded right, is when set/up and in particular, vta has been nailed.

In my experience the sweet-spot is extremely narrow with these stylis profiles.

I've always nailed it after meticulous attention to the other set up areas: tracking force, anti-skate, azimuth, protractor arc, nil points etc etc and then finally dialling in the vta.

Takes time but once nailed you just know, you hear it, everything comes together and sounds right / balanced, fabulous and well worth the pain once it's found.

You have to be patient and 'listen' as you carefully/slowly dial in.

It is why I have only ever used tonearms with 'on the fly vta', (and only ever will) to accommodate these types of stylus profiles, which again, in my experience major on detail / info retrieval, accuracy, neutrality and really let you know what these carts are about
    +1

The VPI Prime TT has "on the fly" VTA and I can concur with you Rob, VTA essential when setting up and optimising a Shibata stylus.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Daniel.

Thank you for all your feedback!

I saw the audiomod tonearms, which would be another pick and choose option for putting together a TT. I don't think I know enough to put something together that actually makes sense and would be significantly cheaper (say no more than half price) than a package deal like VPI Prime.

Re Technics SL1200, perfectly fine table, just does not appeal to me, too disco. I may prefer a bit more traditional look than the VPI Prime (Pro-ject, Rega, Linn), but here tech details outweigh looks. Reviews of the VPI generally note that it is a steal for its performance. Looked at other on-the-fly VTA adjustments from Pro-ject, and there it starts at $6K. Anything else to consider as "entry level" Shibata/on-the-fly VTA table?

I'm Tony.

I have a VPI Scout with adjustable VTA and it is a great TT.

However, something like a Denon DP80 with the audio mods arm is also a great set up but with far better stability than the VPI.

However, to go this route will mean getting your hands dirty and building a TT...
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Daniel.

After some lengthy deliberations, I will get a VPI Super Prime Scout with ADS and a Soundsmith MIMC Star cartridge going to a Vincent PHO 701 with a Brimar 12au7 tube. Should arrive next week :-)
    Any hints re adjusting the Soundsmith cartridge? I am pretty new to this so any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm Kevin.

Personally, I adjust the VTA until the cartridge sounds right. It is the last adjustment I make.
    Once complete, I double check VTF.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast