+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Cable DIY or Not?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Not really,

My speakers use 4mm sockets, so I used to use 4mm 'OZ'plugs by Belling & Lee (which were soldered onto the cable), now I use 4mm 'bunch pin' plugs from Maplin (which use two opposing screws to secure the wire to the plug pin, and can be done up tight).
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Sounds good to me, I'm probably not much cop with a soldering iron anyway. I think Maplins are no more, but perhaps I'll find similar on the 'bay.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Oh - you will find plenty to choose from there, as well as from Amazon.

I would avoid 'named' components from the like of Nakamichi, Chord, Furutech, etc. You will be simply paying for the label.
    Barry

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I've received the AudioQuest SureGrip plugs/spades but the cable will be back in stock in about a weeks time

I guess in the meantime I really should make my new power cables, ages ago I received the following, but kinda forgot I had them

Furutech FP-S022N Alpha Nano-OFC Power Cable:

Furutech FI-11 IEC plugs:

Silver plated MK Toughplugs:
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Alan.

The Mogami and Van Damme tour/studio stuff seem very well regarded for DIY use, and is in many very decent systems on the forums.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I've received the AudioQuest SureGrip plugs/spades but the cable will be back in stock in about a weeks time
    Hi, did the speaker cable arrive and have you made them up? I am interested in how they sound?

Cheers

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Keith.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these cables.

I'm Alan.

I use 6mm Van Damme Studio grade (blue), sound's excellent to me
    http://www.van-damme.com/vandamme_pr...speaker-cable/
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Van-Damme-B...JwqjcgqWDi7CnA

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Gary.

Interesting thread.

From personal experience though, not sure I’d agree with heavier gauge speaker cable always being better?
    I’ve used all shapes n sizes of speaker cable in my kit over the years, some thick as yer wrist down to DNM at a single solid core strand, and can’t say I’ve ever found a link between cable thickness and sound?

Best sounding speaker cable setup I’ve heard in my system looks like shoelaces, and isn’t even terminated.

Not exactly thick cable is it?

My speakers are Triwirable (3 sets of binding posts) and run a single length of cable through all terminals.
    Compared to shotgunning 2 and 3 lengths of cable, and various speaker jumper options bridging terminals, turns out simplest sounds best.
    The cable is tin plated, so no concern of oxidation using bare wire.

The Duelund DCA16GA cable I’m using now ousted a £1K speaker cable and sounds good enough that don’t even think about speaker cable nowadays.
    Just mentioning is as an alternative maybe not considered if your interested in DIY speaker cable.
    https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wir...insulated.html
    Last edited by Gazjam; 26-01-2020 at 07:47.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Interesting thread.

From personal experience though, not sure I’d agree with heavier gauge speaker cable always being better?
    I’ve used all shapes n sizes of speaker cable in my kit over the years, some thick as yer wrist down to DNM at a single solid core strand, and can’t say I’ve ever found a link between cable thickness and sound?

Best sounding speaker cable setup I’ve heard in my system looks like shoelaces, and isn’t even terminated.

Not exactly thick cable is it?

My speakers are Triwirable (3 sets of binding posts) and run a single length of cable through all terminals.
    Compared to shotgunning 2 and 3 lengths of cable, and various speaker jumper options bridging terminals, turns out simplest sounds best.
    The cable is tin plated, so no concern of oxidation using bare wire.

The Duelund DCA16GA cable I’m using now ousted a £1K speaker cable and sounds good enough that don’t even think about speaker cable nowadays.
    Just mentioning is as an alternative maybe not considered if your interested in DIY speaker cable.
    https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wir...insulated.html
    Daft question - Does the oil create an issue, or is it dry to the touch?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast