+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Cable DIY or Not?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Not really,

My speakers use 4mm sockets, so I used to use 4mm 'OZ'plugs by Belling & Lee (which were soldered onto the cable), now I use 4mm 'bunch pin' plugs from Maplin (which use two opposing screws to secure the wire to the plug pin, and can be done up tight).
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Sounds good to me, I'm probably not much cop with a soldering iron anyway. I think Maplins are no more, but perhaps I'll find similar on the 'bay.
    Pining for the fjords? What kind of talk is that? And why did he fall flat on his back the minute I got him home?

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon 2M Black. Phono: Yaqin MS-22B CD: Densen Beat B400 Plus; Headphone/pre: Myryad Z40; Amp: Audion Silver Night 300b stereo
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def. Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini-1, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    Panasonic 42" plasma, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Oh - you will find plenty to choose from there, as well as from Amazon.

I would avoid 'named' components from the like of Nakamichi, Chord, Furutech, etc. You will be simply paying for the label.
    Barry

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I've received the AudioQuest SureGrip plugs/spades but the cable will be back in stock in about a weeks time

I guess in the meantime I really should make my new power cables, ages ago I received the following, but kinda forgot I had them

Furutech FP-S022N Alpha Nano-OFC Power Cable:

Furutech FI-11 IEC plugs:

Silver plated MK Toughplugs:
    Bev

Mark Levinson N390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Alan.

The Mogami and Van Damme tour/studio stuff seem very well regarded for DIY use, and is in many very decent systems on the forums.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I would use a much heavier gauge of wire for speaker cable. A loop resistance of 27mOhm / metre is not especially good. You can do much better for less expense.

Also don't be swayed to much by the claims of OCC copper. The Oho continuous casting process may create copper wire with few crystal boundaries when the wire is drawn. But by the time the wire is wound onto a drum and then twisted to form multi-stranded cable, the wire is stressed beyond its elastic limit, so introducing many new additional crystal boundaries.
    Yes, I agree - particularly with regard to using a heavier gauge wire.

100% Analogue

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I've received the AudioQuest SureGrip plugs/spades but the cable will be back in stock in about a weeks time
    Hi, did the speaker cable arrive and have you made them up? I am interested in how they sound?

Cheers

Adrian
    [FONT="Arial"]
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes

Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S & Michel Cusis MC cartridge, Furutech AG-12-R4 High Performance Phono Cable, LFD MMC special phono stage, Rothwell MCX SUT, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi to Beresford Caiman SEG DAC, Sony 3d blu-Ray for CDs to Caiman SEG, ALLNIC T1500 MKII SET 300B amp, Tannoy Legacy Arden speakers and JBL L100 Century's , Chord Epic speaker leads, & signature links, the Eccose Conductor CA1 cd to pre, I think I am at audio nirvana, but dont tell anyone

I'm Keith.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these cables.

I'm Alan.

I use 6mm Van Damme Studio grade (blue), sound's excellent to me
    http://www.van-damme.com/vandamme_pr...speaker-cable/
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Van-Damme-B...JwqjcgqWDi7CnA

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, SME 3009/2 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Technics RS1500 - Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Voyager Mono Block, Speakers Tannoy precision 6.4 / Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm availableforweddingsAndBarmitzvas.

Interesting thread.

From personal experience though, not sure I’d agree with heavier gauge speaker cable always being better?
    I’ve used all shapes n sizes of speaker cable in my kit over the years, some thick as yer wrist down to DNM at a single solid core strand, and can’t say I’ve ever found a link between cable thickness and sound?

Best sounding speaker cable setup I’ve heard in my system looks like shoelaces, and isn’t even terminated.

Not exactly thick cable is it?

My speakers are Triwirable (3 sets of binding posts) and run a single length of cable through all terminals.
    Compared to shotgunning 2 and 3 lengths of cable, and various speaker jumper options bridging terminals, turns out simplest sounds best.
    The cable is tin plated, so no concern of oxidation using bare wire.

The Duelund DCA16GA cable I’m using now ousted a 1K speaker cable and sounds good enough that don’t even think about speaker cable nowadays.
    Just mentioning is as an alternative maybe not considered if your interested in DIY speaker cable.
    https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wir...insulated.html
    Last edited by Gazjam; 26-01-2020 at 07:47.
    I enjoy Hifi n stuff...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast